Cp Vs Hp

lovebug7480

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to soap making and was wondering what some of the advantages and disadvantages are to CP and HP soapmaking. I'm trying to decide which to try first. Which method do you guys prefer and for what reasons? Thanks so very much for any info!

Well, personally, I prefer HP...but that was after I'd CP'd a few times. I was glad I had done that though..'cause it gave me a feel of what the soaping process was before I went to HP. Sorry can't offer any other advice on which to start with. There are others here that have really good advice on this stuff.

Oh and believe me...be prepared for addiction. :D

For me, I HP first, liked the process, however, I did not like the appearance of my soaps. Tried CP and have been addicted to CP ever sense. Largely, due to the appearance of my soaps. One of the difference that I know of is with HP you are basically cooking your ingredients and it is partically ready for immediate use, CP as I have been told is ready for immediate use if you do the CPOP, which is my method of choice. As for me, I normally don't use my soaps (CPOP) until a week or two later. HTH

BTW, I am no expert so I am sure the more seasoned soapers will chime in.

I like cp because of the texture of the soap. Also, if you want to swirl, you'll want to do cp. Hp is difficult to swirl. Another reason for cp...it doesn't take as long. You mix the ingredients together, and it's soap. Hp requires a certain amount of time to cook.

The down side of cp is that you shouldn't use it right away. You can cut the curing time by discounting your water amount, but you still need to wait awhile to use it. I like to wait a month, but you can certainly use it sooner than that. It just gets milder with time.

Well ive done the hp for awhile now but i decieded to do a couple of the cp as everyones looked much creamier than mine and im hooked. I find the cp soaps look alot better than the ones done the hp way. What i liked about the hp was you can use it right away, but with the cp you should wait at least a month to use. I would try it both ways and see for yourself which you like better. Lin

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to soap making and was wondering what some of the advantages and disadvantages are to CP and HP soapmaking. I'm trying to decide which to try first. Which method do you guys prefer and for what reasons? Thanks so very much for any info!

Advantages HP: Ready for immediate use. Fragrance oils are added after the cook, the lye has dissipated and cannot react badly with the scent.

Disadvantages HP: Very thick when poured. You can do a marble, but not a delicate swirl. Can't use fancy molds.

Advantages CP: Appearance. You can pour when thin into any type of mold. You can do gorgeous swirls (if you are talented).

Disadvantages: Fragrance is the factor that can make or break the batch. FO's can react badly with the lye with undesirable results. Longer cure which can be overcome by cooking in the oven at 175 for 2 hours (CPOP)

I started with HP, moved to CPOP and still do HP when I know I have a problematic fragrance.

e

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your replies! Since I adore the swirl soap, my husband and I will most likely attempt the CP method and check out more on CPOP. How does CPOP work? How much does it reduce the curing time by and are there any adverse reactions to the soap if you do the CPOP method? TIA again!!!

I do cpop often in the winter when my batches are having a hard time gelling. The thing I don't like about it is that the surface of the soap will get tiny bubbles on it. It doesn't look bad if you are using a log mold, but I use a slab mold and I don't like those bubbles on the front of my soap...just a matter of personal preference (and I am rather picky, lol).