New and have some questions

Hi all! I'm new to the site and hoping you all can help me out a bit. I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been covered; there is just so much info here it's very time consuming to search through all of it!

I first started making candles several months ago, strictly for my own personal use. I feel like I've been making them long enough now and have my technique down, and I'd really like to start selling them.

I have no idea where to start from the business end of things though. I know I need liability insurance before I can do any selling. How exactly do I go about that? I know different states have different standards and such, so if it helps in providing me with information or reputable providers I am in Pennsylvania.

Also - is it necessary to register a business if I only plan on selling online (through a site such at etsy) and perhaps at some local area craft shows? I'm thinking not, but I want to be sure I cover all the bases before getting started. If I do need to, what steps do I need to take to do that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but at the moment those are the most important things on my mind. Anything else important for selling candles that I need to know about?

Thanks so much for your help/advice!

Hi! And welcome to the board!

I completely understand that doing the search this on this board is time consuming....but you really NEED to do that first. Don't get me wrong.....there's lots of people here that are happy to help, but you need to do some leg work here first. The insurance question has been a big topic on this board for a long time, so you'll be amazed at the info. you can find. Also, the "should I be registered" question has been discussed as well. And each state is different in what it requires as far as licensing, sales tax rules and the like. You might want to start at your state's comptrollers office, that's were I head if I need business help and if they can't help they will point me in the right direction.

HTH:)

Carrie

Hi all! I'm new to the site and hoping you all can help me out a bit. I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been covered; there is just so much info here it's very time consuming to search through all of it!

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but at the moment those are the most important things on my mind. Anything else important for selling candles that I need to know about?

Thanks so much for your help/advice!

Welcome to CT!

We have all had to do our own legwork. The search feature is your best friend, there is a wealth of information here! If you search for something and can't find it, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!