Okay, Why Do I Have Fingernailing Now???

HI Everyone, I have had a case of IGI-4625 for a little while now, I guess about 4 months. After making my candle baskets for the silent auction I opened my other box and the wax LOOKS fine. I put it in the presto pot, melted it (noticed a wee bit of popping)< it went away,,,Used Peaks FO's poured pillars and votives like I always do, and they looked okay when I de-molded them and after about 8 hours they started to fingernail!!!!! Now whats with that????

The only time I ever had problems with fingernailing I was using gemlites FO, After I stopped using them it quit....So now what do you all think??? HELP ME PLEASE?!:cry2:

Edited to add: I bought this case in the classys so I cant call a distributor. I looked in the archive and seen Allens suggestion on cooking the wax at 225 for thirty minutes kinda scared to do that.

Go ahead and try. The FP of wax is over 300 degrees, so set your digital thermometer to beep at 250 this is still way lower than the FP and you can adjust if you need to.

I also like the pour temp on my molded candles around 165-168 in preheated molds. If you are pouring to hot you'll get them too.

Karen B

Go ahead and try. The FP of wax is over 300 degrees, so set your digital thermometer to beep at 250 this is still way lower than the FP and you can adjust if you need to.

I also like the pour temp on my molded candles around 165-168 in preheated molds. If you are pouring to hot you'll get them too.

Karen B

Thanks Karen for answering. Okay I will try it and see how it goes. I usually always pour around 170,,Thank you again!!

I preheat my molds and maybe they get a little to hot but I found when I used that wax it likes 165 more than exactly 170.

Since you did hear that "popping" sound I would cook the wax. It does sound like you still had some water in that batch. It happens all the time and just let it be for a good 30 minutes then you should be fine. I've tested my presto so I know exactly what the temp should be placed at, but if you aren't to sure just set the temp "thing'y" to beep when it get's to 250 this way you still have a long way to go before 325 which I **think** is the FP of wax. (not sure my kids took all of my good brain cells when I gave birth to them) :D

Good luck,

Karen B

I use 4625 and I pour around 180-185. Don't know if this took care of my fingernailing or not but I added 1lb of soy to 8lbs of wax and used 1/2 tsp of vybar per lb. Heated on a high temp - about 225 for about 30 minutes and haven't had any fingernails since. hth

I use 4625 and I pour around 180-185. Don't know if this took care of my fingernailing or not but I added 1lb of soy to 8lbs of wax and used 1/2 tsp of vybar per lb. Heated on a high temp - about 225 for about 30 minutes and haven't had any fingernails since. hth

Vybar 103? Im willing to try many different ways at this point,,LOL,,,

Thank you.