Cinnamon Clay Recipe, revisited.....

asheebeans

I found a jewelry clay recipe online and decided to omit the flour and use cinnamon instead. (in case anyone is interested, it is 1/2 c. corn starch, 1/2 c. salt, 1/2 c. cinnamon and enough warm water to just moisten) This recipe molded really nicely and cut really nicely, but today when it is a bit drier I notice that parts of it are turning white from the salt!! :angry2: Can anyone tweak this recipe a bit so we can all have some nice cinnamon clay to play with? (I don't want any recipes with glue and/or applesauce....I don't know why, but the thought of mixing those two together makes me want to puke! :tongue2: ) Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: Do you think dipping in wax would help?

Also edited to add: I sat here chortling to myself as I had typed "edioted" and all I could think of was Ren & Stimpy!! LOL

Here's my Cinnamon Clay/Dough recipe ...

3 TBS. shortening

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup molasses

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. each ground cloves, cinnamon, and ginger

Combine all ingredients ...

roll out dough to 1/4" thick ...

cut with cookie cutters (use a straw to poke a hole for hanging) ...

bake for 20 mins. in 350 oven (turn a couple of times while cooling) ...

let dry for 1-2 days.

To preserve ... paint on a thin layer of modge podge, or dip in scented wax. I make gingerbread men from this dough ... they are awesome Christmas tree ornaments.

Good question ... I usually use all purpose flour, but you want your ornaments PUFFY, substitute with self rising flour! You can also use Wheat Flour for a different look.

Also, if you want a lighter colored dough, substitute light corn syrup for the molasses or mix 50/50.

Thanks Candlebuddy! I seem to remember you posting that recipe once before and I never wrote it down! :embarasse I wanted to jump on here to mention that the recipe I posted--don't bother!!! Crumbly horrible mess!! I threw the whole lot right into the trash. :angry2: I am trying your recipe next, Candlebuddy! So dipping in wax or sealing with Modge Podge really keeps away the beasties/creepy crawlies?

I can't really take the credit ... I got the recipe from another crafter ... it really works great. I went through alot of recipes before I found this one.

So far, no little critters in my christmas ornaments. I have some that I made about 4 years ago, and they are fine. I personally like using Modge Podge ... it does cover up the scent of the cinnamon dough, but I just put fragrance oil on the hanger part. I use alot of different things to hang them ... jute, twine, homespun, ribbon.

If you dip them in wax, it's best to use paraffin. I use the paraffin from the grocery store or hardware store. If you buy wax from a supplier, don't use container wax, it's too soft imo ... and don't forget to scent your wax.