Trace or No trace?

Trace is when the soap resembles very thin pudding.

Basically, it's when the entire mixture is emulisified completely and starts to thicken. I usually pour at very thin trace, but have kept stirring/stickblending to get a thicker trace on a few occasions. IMO, you have more control and time with the raw soap when you stop at a thin trace. If you like swirlie, textured tops, you will need proceed to thick trace. It's all personal preference, and what method works best for you.

I find the the less I use the stickblender after I reach trace, the more time I have to play with the soap. I use a slotted spoon or whisk once I reach trace and it works for me. My theory is to use the stickblender sparingly before and after trace for less drama in soapmaking.

When I start to see a trail leaving a "trace" on the top of the mixture, I consider the soap to be at a light trace. The next step in the progression is when a small blob stays on top just a moment before sinking in. That's the latest point at which I can probably safely play with swirls and such and still have time. If I want fluid swirls, I generally stop sb'ing and start adding color to my swirl portions at the first stage, when I'm seeing a little trail left.

The amount of time between those two stages varies according to the recipe, the temperatures, and the fo/eo I'm using.

Hope that answers your question!