Interesting Tid Bit

DeJae

I have always wondered why one supplier sells Olive Squalane and some spell it Squalene and some spell it Squalane.

I wanted to offer it in the Oil Co-Op we were doing but someone pointed out that the sage sold it for less.

So I asked Mike at Soapers Choice, who has been making CP for 11 years.

He told me the answer but said, don't take my word for it, google it, so I did and thought you all would find this interesting, though maybe most of you knew this already.

Soapers Choice - Spells it Squalane

MMS - Spells it Squalene

Squalene vs. Squalane

Squalene (spelled with an "e") is an oil extracted from the liver of deep-water sharks. It helps increase immunity, prevent chronic illnesses, fight cancer and aging and helps strengthen the skin. Squalene works by releasing oxygen into the cells of the body, helping to prevent cell deterioration. Squalane has long been used in cosmetic preparations to soften skin, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and as a bactericidal agent which speeds wound healing.

Squalane (spelled with an "a") has, essentially, the SAME chemical components, however, in vegan form, as extracted from olives. It is frequently (and incorrectly) referred to as squalene, when in fact, it has no shark liver oil components.

The other important difference is squalane is hydrogenated squalene -

squalane is more stable and has a longer shelf life. And actually, both squalene and squalane can be gotten from olives I believe.

so maybe Columbus Foods sources theirs from different... um sources, hunh?

The other important difference is squalane is hydrogenated squalene -

squalane is more stable and has a longer shelf life. And actually, both squalene and squalane can be gotten from olives I believe.

What Mike said is that both have an olive oil base but that Squalene does have at least some fish oil in it. He said if you want to be sure, always ask for a certificate of analysis. That will tell you for sure.

He said, he has always seen that the certificates for Squalene always winding up with having some amount of fish oil in it.

This started because I challenged him on the fact that MMS was cheaper than he was. So I bought myself a 1# bottle from him and I am going to compare cause I do use MMS's.

Ruina, supposidly the one from MMS (squalene) the one with fish and I have used it, no fishy smell. I ordered a pound from Soapers Choice to compare cause again, supposidly Squalane (Like SC sells) is suppose to have better properties in it and I guess have better working properties for lack of better words

DeJae,

Interesting indeed? I'd be curious to know if it has a fishy odor to it. Let us know. Btw, would the fish oil saponify?