Newbie with questions about tart wax

Hi Everyone :D These boards have been a true God send! What a great amount of information you have here! I'm in love! So far all this information has made my testing go very smoothly, I'm actually able to use and sell the end results!

SO Long story short, what started out as me playing around with tarts for my own burner has quickly turned into everyone locally wanting my tarts. So I figure what the heck, I'll give it a shot! I have lots of new FO's after my last round of testing, but now I have some wax questions and concerns.

What kind of wax do you all recommend for the wax melts? I'd like to use a soy blend or even an all soy wax but I've heard it doesn't hold as much FO and the amount of FO is why I think everyone wants to buy these tarts I've made.

In testing I've had one issue... after about 8 hours of burning I start to smell wax burning instead of scent.

I've read that I should use a votive/container blend etc and today when I called my local supplier she suggested the Pillar wax. My local supplier would be Carolina Candle Supply.

IN case anyone was wondering what wax I've been using... it's this.. GULF wax that comes in 1lb bars on the canning asle of the grocery store. I tried 1lb of Gulf Wax with 1/2 teaspoon of vybar and 1/2 teaspoon of steraic stuff from Michaels. That seemed to hold the scent in a little too well. So the next batch I tried using just 1/2 teaspooon of vybar to the wax by itself and it keeps in the oil but still not as great of a scent throw as when I used no additives at all. But when I don't use any additive at all, I get a little bit of beeding from the oil coming out when it's finished curing.

ANy help in this area would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone knows anything about Carolina Candle Supply and the quality of their wax!

BTW... I'm Dana... mother of 2.. one 5 month old baby girl, Kaity, and one 6 year old son, Bryson, and wife of Chuck.. the video guy :)) I live in BFE North Carolina, about 2 hours away from every major city in NC.

It's great to join this great group of people...

PS I tend to ramble.. :))

Alrighty, upon further research I found this blend that sounds like it would work

AstorLite OK6228-1: Pillar and Votive Candle Wax

AstorLite J223: Opaque One Pour Container Candle Wax

But would you do a 50/50 mix? or would it be 25/75? and if so which is 25 and which is 75?

Also, would you use the AstorLite OK 6228 or the Astorlite J223 if you do a 50/50 mix with the

Enchanted Lites Soy: Container Candle Wax

PLEASE HELP :confused: I'm confused

Thanks in advance for all replies :D

I use 50% OK6228 to 50% J223. This combo works great. The tarts are very solid, shrink wrap beautifully, you can add a lot of FO to these without weeping any oil, they melt quicker in the burner than 100% pillar wax, and the scent throw is awesome. You've got to use quality FO's though...you can't use cheap oils and expect a great throw. I add 1 oz FO to 12 oz of wax because I usually make up 12 one oz tarts at a time. This is definately a winning combo, you can't go wrong with it.

Good luck! Hey, you can even up the FO to about 1.25 oz if you're using a lighter scent...and it still won't weep out. Let us know how they turn out for you. You definately can't go wrong using Peak's scents so you should be good to go.:)

I use JOY wax, which is a soy blend wax, to make my tarts. I will warn ya ahead of time, that they are very soft, but do hold their shape very well. Scent throw is pretty awsome. I did that because JOY is what I started with. But since shipping is going out of this world, I am switching over to J223 for my containers (at least thats the plan). I also use the 6228 for my pillars, and since most people use the 50/50 mix, I figure I will jump on that band wagon too. lol.... Anway, if you want to try soy blend, I would highly recommend JOY from NG.... HTH:D

oh yeah. forgot to add. I use 1.5oz per lb and never have a problem with seeping...

I use 75% pillar wax and 25% container wax.

e

Alrighty, upon further research I found this blend that sounds like it would work

AstorLite OK6228-1: Pillar and Votive Candle Wax

AstorLite J223:Opaque One Pour Container Candle Wax

But would you do a 50/50 mix? or would it be 25/75? and if so which is 25 and which is 75?