Am I overwicking?

I am new to making candles and am looking for your help in troubleshooting my issue.

I am using cb135 and some fragrances (1oz per lb of wax) that should throw in wax, from CS and from Peaks. I am using 6oz and 9oz containers. I have a great cold throw but not a very good hot throw. With the LX wicks I get a great melt pool (though much too fast - edge to edge in less than 2 hours for the 9oz). I thought it was the size of the room I was burning the candle in, as if I put one in the bathroom I get a bit more throw., but I've found that if I waft or sniff above the candle there is hot throw there it's just going straight up. Does this mean I am wicking up too much? My HTP and RRD wicks are having a similar issue, though I thought they'd be better since I was able to use smaller wicks (I have to get some smaller LX wicks). The melt pool for these is slower to reach the edge and generally reaches the same depth as the LX. Due to the RRD and HTP wicks curling I do end up with a bit on the sides remaining after burning, not too bad though.

Here are the diameter to wick combos I'm testing and having little luck with.

6oz - 2.5"d by 3.25h - 24LX, 40RRD, 83HTP

9oz - 2.75"d by 3.5"h - 24LX, 26LX, 47RRD, 104HTP

Should I wick down on any of these?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Based on what you are saying for the 9oz. I would say yes, you are over wicking. 2.75" in only two hours (especially on the first burn) indicates you are over wicking - and perhaps you are just burning up the FO instead of "throwing" it. I would wick down on that one. Or, go up to 9% (1.5 oz per pound) and see what you think.

I can tell you that I was burning a little paraffin votive all by itself the other day. I walked out of the room to the porch to put something away and right back in - and it was filling the entire (large) room. Unfortunately this wasn't one of MY candles but it goes to show you that you may just have "candle nose" too!

:)

I am new to making candles and am looking for your help in troubleshooting my issue.

I am using cb135 and some fragrances (1oz per lb of wax) that should throw in wax, from CS and from Peaks. I am using 6oz and 9oz containers. I have a great cold throw but not a very good hot throw. With the LX wicks I get a great melt pool (though much too fast - edge to edge in less than 2 hours for the 9oz). I thought it was the size of the room I was burning the candle in, as if I put one in the bathroom I get a bit more throw., but I've found that if I waft or sniff above the candle there is hot throw there it's just going straight up. Does this mean I am wicking up too much? My HTP and RRD wicks are having a similar issue, though I thought they'd be better since I was able to use smaller wicks (I have to get some smaller LX wicks). The melt pool for these is slower to reach the edge and generally reaches the same depth as the LX. Due to the RRD and HTP wicks curling I do end up with a bit on the sides remaining after burning, not too bad though.

Here are the diameter to wick combos I'm testing and having little luck with.

6oz - 2.5"d by 3.25h - 24LX, 40RRD, 83HTP

9oz - 2.75"d by 3.5"h - 24LX, 26LX, 47RRD, 104HTP

Should I wick down on any of these?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

I am not sure you are really over wicking it. I use in a 2.5" diameter jar with that wax and HTP 93. In a 2.75" I would also use about an htp 104. Look at the candle at the end of 4 hrs. Is the depth of the melted wax in excess of 1/2" against the glass? That is really the tell tale. Some of my candles get a full melt really quick and others not really. lol

As for scent. Just because it says it will throw in soy does not always make it so. :( A few thoughts on this though...first did you cure the candles? If so for how long? Secondly did you weigh both the wax and fo on a digital scale you are sure is accurate and thirdly what size room were you originally burning in and do you have an air exchanger or ac/central heat running as you are testing? I've found those things can make a huge impact on if I can smell my candles...oops forgot another! lol What temp did you add the fo to the wax? Can make a difference too. :)

Hi Flicker - thanks. It's funny how many factors there are in this whole thing. As for your questions...

As for scent. Just because it says it will throw in soy does not always make it so. :( A few thoughts on this though...first did you cure the candles? If so for how long? -- I did cure them, some for four days some for a bit longer. I have a few that I haven't tested yet that have been curing for a few weeks.

Secondly did you weigh both the wax and fo on a digital scale you are sure is accurate and thirdly what size room were you originally burning in and do you have an air exchanger or ac/central heat running as you are testing? -- I did use a digital scale. For a couple of my first candles I used 1 fl oz of FO but then switched over to using net weight. The heat has been on (thanks to living in the good ole Pacific NW which appears to be the coldest place around right now!). I've been burning in my family room which is around 15X15, but it is open to our kitchen nook and kitchen, making the whole area more than double that. When I burn in my small bathroom, which is only 4X4 I do get a throw.

I've found those things can make a huge impact on if I can smell my candles...oops forgot another! lol What temp did you add the fo to the wax? Can make a difference too. -- I've been adding the FO at 165 degrees.

I haven't burned any of the candles for 4 hours though, mostly around 2-2.5 hours. I'll try a long burn and see if that makes a difference and check the melt pool again. I need to try to burn one in a bedroom where the floor plan isn't open as well. I haven't made any new candles in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping maybe I'll have an easier time smelling them too!

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Jen