Ct Classroom-Soap In A Box Beginner's CP

eugenia

Not sure if you saw this:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59908

This class level is beginner. My intention is to make CP as simple as possible.

I will use a shoe box, grocery store oils, a whisk, and herbs for coloring. My hope is to hook some of you on this fantastic craft with little out of pocket expense. I look forward to seeing you on 10/21, time to be determined.

e

I think this is just totally awesome and I am sure it is a lot of work on you guys. I don't know who's idea it was to start this classroom thing but hats of to you and each and everyone of you who teach us.

Ditto!

I am very excited for this class! I have been interested in CP soap making but have been nervous to jump in and do it. Can't wait to learn with this class!

I guess I'm gonna give this a try. I always love looking at all the beautiful soaps in the gallery but I'm afraid of the lye. I guess I need to grow up and approach my fear head on. Where do you get lye and how much do you need to purchase when you're just starting???? Will this be a simple soap like castile? Ginger

I guess I'm gonna give this a try. I always love looking at all the beautiful soaps in the gallery but I'm afraid of the lye. I guess I need to grow up and approach my fear head on. Where do you get lye and how much do you need to purchase when you're just starting???? Will this be a simple soap like castile? Ginger

If you have a Lowe's near you they carry lye in a 2# bottle. It is located in the heavy duty cleaners. HTH

crap !!!! i just realized i won't be here on that day and i would love love love to learn from you E. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr do you have any other days available after the 21st ? i suppose that is way too much to ask but i hope everyone enjoys the lesson. i just love your soaps in the gallery so beautiful

e, are you going to post a list of needed supplies in advance so we have time to collect everything. This sounds like what I need to get over my 'soaping is terrifying' phobia.

Thanks for doing this

Added:

OK I just read the CP tutorial. Do we need the blender thing? Where do I get goggles? I only have one local grocery store. Not sure they will have anything more exotic than regular cooking oils.

You can go to your local college and go to the college bookstore, most college bookstores have goggles for the science and engineering students. You can also get goggles at Home Depot. I am so happy that there is a beginnings class (be there or be square) so that by the time November and December rolls around you guys will be ready for swirling, layering, and other levels of soap making that we will be offering in classes:)

For all you eager beavers, here is the supplies list for the class:

Materials:

Shoe Box

Freezer Paper

Masking Tape

Pitcher (that you will never use again except for lye or soap)

Wooden Spoon (that you will never use again except for lye or soap)

Scale

Non -Aluminum Pot

Whisk

Glass or Metal Bowl

Chopstick or Skewer

Protective Goggles

Blanket or towel for wrapping the soap

Optional: Stick Blender, Gloves

Please note that you can use metal pots and spoons and glass containers and for soap making without sacrificing them. They clean up just fine. Aluminum will react with the lye and cannot be used under any circumstance. Plastic will absorb fragrance and can’t be used for food after making soap.

Ingredients:

Dried Parsley (ground, if possible)

Olive Oil

Castor Oil

Coconut Oil

Lard

Fragrance Oil (optional)

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)

Distilled Water

For those that are going to take this class, you'd better do some checking right now for the coconut oil. I know a lot of peeps say that they can get it locally, at Walmart or even their grocery store, but none of the stores around here carry it.

Yes, you CAN buy castor oil at Walmart and such, in tiny bottles, and it's a bit pricey that way, so you may want to check into how much you will need for this class.

Just a little heads up. ;)

I may even sit in on this one, since I still consider myself a newbie to cp soapmaking and have never ever seen anyone (besides myself) actually make it. :)

Thanks for doing this E! :whoohoo:

Can someone explain how exactly this "class" thing works? How do I sit in one of these classes?

I didn't want this to get buried, I'd like to know this too. I'm not sure if I'll sit in or jump in!

ETA: And, at the risk of appearing really stupid, wouldn't I need to have my computer w/ me in my "lab"?