My first soy containers

Ok so I made my first soy container candles. Actually these are my first container candles period. I purchased some soy-125 from candlewic and poured around the recommended temp of 150.

1st off I probably added too much FO. I was kinda testing to see how much the wax would hold so I poured a whole ounce in one pound. I poured a little at a time waiting to see at what point the scent would no longer blend into the wax. 1 oz seemed to mix in okay but as it cooled. (and you know I couldn't help but poke my little finger in the warm jar) the wax came out grainy. The wax wasn't smooth but had tiny grainy balls. Is this normal? I'm thinking this is because of too much FO. I have to remember this isn't paraffin. - The one thing I do have to say is that it's got one heck of a cold throw.

Secondly it kind of crystallized around the wick. No wet spots and the top was even and shiny but you could tell it crystallized a bit. I didn't use any dye. I wasn't too happy with this effect. I'm wondering if additives would help? I didn't use any this time around because I wanted to see how the wax behaved on it's own . Should I try palm steric or beeswax first? I really want creamy soy candles.

To try to get rid of the crystallation I heated them up in the oven. Big mistake. They came out fugly as ever. I ended up remelting and pouring again. Oh well I will be test burning tomorrow.

In conclusion

Pluses

- No wet spots

- Good cold throw

- smooth even top

Minuses

- crystalizing around wick

- probabably used too much FO

- no additives

Next 2 I will try pouring at the slushy stage and use only 1/2 ounce FO. I have no additives on hand but will purchasing some in a couple weeks. Could really use some help with additive usage reccomendations.

I'm not sure why you're convinced you've used too much fo, but soy generally has a larger fragrance load than paraffin - you can go up to 1.5oz without worry. I'm confused by how you added your fo & determined how it blended w/ the wax. Just dump it in & stir for at least 3 minutes. I add fo around 175-180 (yes, that's a bit higher temp than the supplier suggests, but soy is generally 'safe' if you keep the temp below 200), stir 3 mins & pull the temp down to cool. I stir a little as it's cooling & before I pour. There are so many additives you can use & endless combinations. Here's a link to the additive page http://www.justbynature.com/additives.html for Just By Nature - I don't use them much, but they're quite helpful for soy. We have tons of threads on additives, search for PSA (Palm Stearic Acid), UA (Universal Additive), Coconut Oil, beeswax or Vybar. I'm not sure what you mean by crystallizing around the wick, but it's not uncommon for soy to pull around the wick. Good luck --

Susan.

I'm confused by how you added your fo & determined how it blended w/ the wax. Just dump it in & stir for at least 3 minutes.

I did stir the FO in but definitely not for 3 minutes. Thanks Susan for the suggestion and the link. I will be purchasing some beeswax and palm steric see what helps the best.

UPDATE

I test burned these last night and the results were disasterous. When it cooled the tops were bumpy and completely uneven. Same as they did when I tried to even out the tops in the oven.

I tried a another candle being very careful of the heating and pour temps and using less FO but it looks as if it going to do the same thing. I'm going to make a candle with no FO to see if it's just the consistancy of this wax.

When I started out I had really bumpy cracked tops. As my methods perfected and I learned more, I started getting smoother tops- not perfect everytime, but better. And now, I have a heat gun. I use it to 'finalize' the candle... after doing everything else the way that the manufacturer suggests (pour temps etc). My candles, after being burned, do not have bumpy tops anymore after burning.

Some of my votives do, but that's another story! That's why I'm probably switching waxes there.

Good luck.