Crayon soaps

Lin

Lin, I've asked a few people that have made these for awhile and both said no. One went on to say she experimented for awhile and ended up tinting her daughter so she gave up. I thought years ago I bought some from ToysRUs and they "colored" but I may be mistaken. I'm still working on packaging but both said they are a hit and I have decided to package them w/ bath tints so that might take their minds off the fact that the crayons don't write (if its a problem). HTH :)

Thanks for your reply Maryann. They are so cute im sure they would sell anyway like you said. Just thought it would be cool if you could get color some how. If i ever find a way ill let you know. Lin

This may help, we use this recipe in our Kids Kamps, they enjoy making them.

Tub Crayons

Contributed by Kathy

Yields two super-sized 6-inch crayons, each 1-inch thick

Cheese grater

Large bar (4.5 oz) white soap, such as Ivory, or Ivory flakes

Large bowl

Liquid food coloring

Water

Potato masher or plastic sandwich bags

Molds, muffin tins, ice-cube trays, optional Grate soap into the bowl. Add 1-1.5 tablespoons of food coloring and a few drops of water to the grated soap. Using a potato masher or your hands slipped into plastic sandwich bag “gloves” blend and squish the mixture until it’s of modeling-clay consistency and the color is thoroughly incorporated. Add additional drops of water or coloring as needed. (Note: Make the mixture a few shades paler than desired the crayon will darken as it dries.) Roll mixture into fat logs, create free-form shapes or press it into molds, tins or ice cube trays. Place crayons on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper and let dry for 2 days or until hard. If you’ve used molds, pop out crayons. (**Crayons might stain grout, so watch kids if there is tile in or around the tub. Try to rinse immediately after play.)

HTH

Wendy