M&P Dog Soap?

Candybee

Yep, you can use M&P...I make it for my dog. You can use any base and oils, it really depends on your dogs needs. My dog sheds all year long and I've found that GM & Emu is the thing for him...his coat is really soft!

Here's a couple I've tried over the last several months

1# White base w/ 1 TBS each of Emu Oil, Castor Oil, & Neem Oil (fights off bugs & other nasties)

1# GM or Shea base w/ 1 TBS each of Emu or Jojoba Oil

I think Rice Bran or Meadowfoam Seed Oil would be good choices also.

Let me know how it turns out!

HTH

Sharon

Thank you! I was trying to think of the oils that were used in dog soap. I remembered one helped with bugs and some helped with irratated skin. I will give it a try.

One question: Can it be used on both large and small dogs? I want to make some bars that are good for any size dog.

One question: Can it be used on both large and small dogs? I want to make some bars that are good for any size dog.

The dog size shouldn't matter at all. I was a bather/brusher in high school and we used the same shampoo on all size dogs, just depended on their individual needs, ie white coat, moisturizing, flea, etc. I use a darkening shampoo on our Rottweiler and I also use it on my horse's tail.

I have small dogs (a pug & westie) but I don't see why it wouldn't be ok for larger dogs also...the recipe would still be the same. (Anyone feel free to chime in here on this). Unless the dog has allergies, sensitive skin or other issues, I can't imagine any problems.

dublon was going to make some for her german shephard...maybe you can pm her since her dog is larger than mine & see how it turned out.

You may want to do a test patch on your dog...my westie has sensitive skin so I will only use things w/ jojoba, emu or rice bran oils on him.

Remember also that Neem Oil is said to be toxic if taken internally, so be careful w/ any drips or spills.

Thanks for the great ideas. I generally use a white base and add my butters and oils to that for whatever type of bar I am making. I also use gm so I might try both or even mixing them together.

I haven't tried neem or emu oil before. Is there a good supplier for these?

I think you might find you'll fall in love w/ the gm...whether you use the base or add gm powder to your white base (what I do now)...such creamy lather!

I've only purchased Emu from a member doing a co-op, but I've read on here that http://www.thesoapdish.com/index.htm has quality Emu oil that's nicely priced...it is generally a bit pricy, but well worth it. If I ever run out, I'll probably give The Soap Dish a try. A little of this stuff goes a long way. I get my neem oil locally.

Geez, I'm not much help, am I :undecided

Can you really use pretty much any MP base for dog soap? I never made dog soap with MP because I was afraid of irritating the poor doggie's eyes. If you can't use MP base for babies, how can you use it for a dog? Does it bother their eyes? I really am curious!

Can you really use pretty much any MP base for dog soap? I never made dog soap with MP because I was afraid of irritating the poor doggie's eyes. If you can't use MP base for babies, how can you use it for a dog? Does it bother their eyes? I really am curious!

Please don't laugh, but I avoid my pugs eyes by using Doggles on him. I also use them when I take him to the beach. It's always hell to get them on him, he hates them, but they make me feel better!

http://www.entirelypets.com/doggles.html?OVRAW=Pug%20goggles&OVKEY=dog%20goggles&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=2834800512&OVKWID=30774968512&ysmwa=xr6hSlZCGCCashSSdXmDxO8gKKjId18vbj0DFAi7XEJAZH4BWz6DeylIFwqElet7

Personally, I wouldn't even think about using any other base on him except the SFIC, but that's just my preference. Either that or CP soap like I used before. I don't like the ingredients in the other bases, and wouldn't even use it on myself, let alone my precious pooches :)

I've never heard about not using M&P on babies. I gotta look into that b/c I'd definitely want to know about any potential concerns w/ it.

Those doggles are way too cute lol! I have always used mp base on all my kids from newborn on up. For the infants I never used any type of fo, strictly unscented. Didn't start using scented on them til about 6 months old then used that. I am also a huge fan of the johnsons and johnsons cause I just love that smell so I have always used that as well. But one should always use caution on any children's eyes when using soap no matter what the age...In fact, I need some of those doggles lol, I am always getting soap in my eyes when I wash my face lol!

Angi

I meant about the "tear free" thing and babies. I assumed that would be the same with a dog. Any handmade soap seems fine for a baby skin wise. I assumed that would be the same with a dog. I was just concerned about the eyes. Good to know that MP is okay for a dog!