Looking for advice on this soapmaking kit......

Candles by DonnaMarie

Hello all,

Thinking about branching out into the soapmaking arena sometime next year. I came across the deluxe M&P kit on Cierra Candles. It seems to me to be a good way to get my feet wet at $31.00 plus shipping (which it looks like to be around $20.00). Hmm, maybe not such a good deal. Damn shipping.

1 lb. of MP Soap Base, Clear

1 lb. of MP Soap Base, White

1 lb. of MP Soap Base, Oatmeal

1 lb. of MP Soap Base, Aloe Vera

1 pkg. of 4 Color Nuggets, mixed colors

1 Soap Mold, 4-in-1 Geometric

6 ea. 1 oz. Soap-safe Fragrance Oils

What do y'all think.

Thanks, Bob and DonnaMarie

I guess that isn't THAT bad of a deal. It appears that Cierra Candles offeres SFIC M&P Bases.

I went to Peak Candle, my favorite :D , and you could buy each of those things individually for $30.95 but that doesn't include colorants (I used food color for my first playings in M&P). BUT...the advantage there is YOU get to pick the 6 fragrance oils that you want to try and the mold you want to play with.

Just my thoughts...

Donna

I guess that isn't THAT bad of a deal. It appears that Cierra Candles offeres SFIC M&P Bases.

I went to Peak Candle, my favorite :D , and you could buy each of those things individually for $30.95 but that doesn't include colorants (I used food color for my first playings in M&P). BUT...the advantage there is YOU get to pick the 6 fragrance oils that you want to try and the mold you want to play with.

Just my thoughts...

Donna

I just went to Peaks and did the same thing. Without the colorants which would add another $30.00 for 4 different ones like the kit (although they would not be sending 1oz of each), the shipping is $10.41, saving myself about $9.00 or so.

How did the food coloring experiment go? I would try the same thing if yours was somewhat decent. Another question, I have Peak liquid dyes for candles. If I just use a couple of drops just for swirling, would that be bad? I would only try the soaps on myself or my wife and not anybody else.

P.S. I need some Peak FO's for candles so my order would incorporate these as well. Kill two birds with one stone is another way of looking at it.

Thanks, Bob and DonnaMarie

Yup....what Scented said. Don't use the candle colorants! They aren't body safe. Not to mention more than one drop smells like fuel! LOL.

<digging out notes> The food coloring went ok. I only used a drop or two...just to give it a tint of color. You could use other things you might have around the house too....like cocoa powder or paprika....oy, I'm not too into the "natural" colorants, so I'm clueless there really. Or you could leave it "au natural"! LOL.

Check some of the Peak's FO's you already have....most of what they carry is body safe. Shoot, I'd say, ditch the kit and just add some M&P to your next Peak order....much easier that way! BTW....the Goat's Milk M&P ROCKS! Huge seller for me!

Donna

Yup....what Scented said. Don't use the candle colorants! They aren't body safe. Not to mention more than one drop smells like fuel! LOL.

<digging out notes> The food coloring went ok. I only used a drop or two...just to give it a tint of color. You could use other things you might have around the house too....like cocoa powder or paprika....oy, I'm not too into the "natural" colorants, so I'm clueless there really. Or you could leave it "au natural"! LOL.

Check some of the Peak's FO's you already have....most of what they carry is body safe. Shoot, I'd say, ditch the kit and just add some M&P to your next Peak order....much easier that way! BTW....the Goat's Milk M&P ROCKS! Huge seller for me!

Donna

You are right. The scents that I have from Peak are bath and body safe, (ex. apple blossom, lavender). I am going to go this route instead of the kit. Food coloring, scents, and I already have candle molds I can use for soap or like other members said, use a lined shoebox. I figure I can save about $30.00.

Thanks for the input angel, doris and scented.

Bob and DonnaMarie

For colors you could also go to Michael's or some craft store and purchase their small pack of colors for about $2.50. It only comes with red, yellow and blue but they are for soaping and you can create your own colors with those three. Just an idea if you don't want to spend tons on colors. Personally I don't like food coloring used for soaps since the time I made purple with them it colored my tub and my body purple lol!

Angi