Thinking about adding Crisco to J223

Testing J223, candle came out really nice and is burning really well. In the past when I used J50 I added Crisco to improve throw and wetspots. I am testing with a Pumpkin Pie Spice fragrance, which should be pretty strong, but I don't think it is as strong burning as it could be. I am going to try Crisco, just wondering if anyone else puts Crisco in J223 for throw or wetspots? Does the Crisco make it smoke some?

Laura

Crisco is better left in the kitchen cabinet with your baking stuff, all it does is throw black smoke and smell like burning hair.

J223 is a pre-blended wax, just like J50. If you want to add something to improve the scent throw (pretty hard to do with J223) then add a natural wax of some kind--soy, beeswax...etc. You will have to figure out %'s.

For wetspots, lower your pouring temp. I pour J223 around 155 degrees. Crisco doesn't do anything for wetspots anyway, all it does is clog the wick.

I would look more at your Pumpkin Spice FO percentage. I'm not quite sure but I think J223 can hold up to 15% FO. I'd start adding more FO or letting the candle cure a bit before experimenting with adding cooking products.

Also look at your wicking. There might be the problem too. You might be slightly underwicked and therefore your throw is not as good.

HTH

Thanks Cetecea, I appreciate all of your advice. It used to be when I started out eight years ago that adding Crisco was pretty standard when using J50. I think I will start with the FO, maybe I will try a different Pumpkin Pie....I already add 1.5 ounces per pound. I really wouldn't want to add more. Plus, you had a good point with curing....I didn't wait very long before I started burning the candle. Thanks Again!

Laura