For those who make their own lotion bases

SpaceGirl

Well I guess I've joined the crowd. Spent the weekend making up Lotioncrafter's Body Butter Bliss kit on saturday and then the recipe that I normally use on Sunday. Now I've consistently had the problem of my lotions ending up more like creams -- much thicker than I'm intending. (even when I up the amount of water that is usually specified). Normally I just deal. But when my mixture was all emulsified and blended beautifully, I realized that the consistency of the lotion was almost as thick as the Bliss kit formulation! So here I go adding more distilled water... and more.... and more.... because what I had been going for was a true lotion! After this experience I realized -- if I'm unintentionally making a base anyways, why not run with it. Perfect the formula, store, then take smaller amounts from the base to dilute and scent as I see fit.

So here is where the question comes in. When you make a base, do you add enough preservative for even the max amount of water that you would add or do you add just enough preservative for the base, then add more when you dilute and add fragrance later?

I also ran into the problem of this blend being a little on the sticky side. solved the draggy problem but gained a sticky problem -- any suggestions?

Without seeing the recipe, it would be hard to gauge what is giving you the sticky feeling. I always add a bit of Cyclo or Dimethicone to lotions or creams to give a more silky feel. In the 3rd stage of lotionmaking.

If you are more or less masterbatching a base to make cream or lotions from it on an as needed basis, I'd suggest adding the amount of preservative for the whole batch, diluted. If you add any milks, hydrosols or aloe juice to the base, they tend to need a bit more preservative because of the shelf life.

Lotionmaking is a whole lot of fun, but trial and error will be the best judge to come up with the ideal formulation. Lotioncrafters and Southern Soapers have many great emulisfiers available to try. I'd suggest staying far away from any of those ready-made lotion creators. I've tried them all and they don't compare to making lotion with the standard three phase method, IMO.

Here is a good reference link for conversion and calculators:

http://recipes.herbalsoapsbyrj.com/calculators/index.php

Also, Snowdrift sells a kit if you want to test the lotion to be sure it isn't gram positive.

It's handy little tool to have around.

MA -- thanks for the great link and test kit information. Such an inexpensive way to check for icky things!

I'm still fiddling with recipe, but have been following the proper lotionmaking steps since my third batch (a few months ago) and did notice a difference, so I'll never go back to the old way.

Ingredients for this one were (off of memory -- I'm too lazy to go for my notes right now): water, mango butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba, stearic, e-wax, DryFlo, glycerin,silk powder, IPM, a little citric acid, preservative and FO. It's a pretty basic recipe but I like the potential!

I'm still making small test batches while I fiddle with things, but goodness I have a lot of lotion in my house! Too bad my family doesn't have horribly dry skin! LOL!

Second ETA: that link rocks! Based on a quick eyeball I may have a little too much e-wax going on....