PayPal vs. ProPay

wickchick

Hello,

I was wondering if someone might have some insight for me. I'm trying to decide how to accept credit cards on my site. I currently have PayPal. My concern with using PayPal to accept cards, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that with PayPal they have to have an account or set up an account prior to being able to use it. I'd hate for my customers to have to deal with that. I want to be able to have them enter their info into the credit card form, hit click, and be done. I don't want them transfered to the PayPal site, have to register, and all that jazz. I looked over PayPal's site and could not for the life of me figure out whether or not it was possible to accept cc payments without having customers register. I will definitely accept PayPal, but I'm wondering if I need another merchant account (like ProPay)

I have also been looking over ProPay. My issue is the yearly fee, plus slightly higher transaction fees and charges.

Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have :) Thanks so much.

Wickchick, if you get a business account with paypal, the buyer/customer no longer needs to have an account with paypal. They will still have to be transferred to paypal's site, but they can just use their credit card without registering. For propay, which I've never used, I believe you can just collect the information without leaving your site.

There are some services now that offer the ability to just add a buy it now button to your pages in the form of cut and paste codes, real simple to use. The one I am considering myself is http://www.1shoppingcart.com/ I have heard alot of good things about them and they offer alot of options for customizing your check out pages to the look and feel of your site. They also offer a 30 day trial for $3.99. There are some other good ones also, so that may be something to check into. Good luck!

You better read the Paypal information over again.....You do not have to have a Payapl account to use your credit cards on a site where the merchant processes credit cards throug Paypal....

From FAQ on www.paypal.com:

Do my customers need a PayPal account to pay me with Website Payments Standard?No. Customers don’t even need a PayPal account to pay you. A PayPal account is entirely optional.

You better read the Paypal information over again.....You do not have to have a Payapl account to use your credit cards on a site where the merchant processes credit cards throug Paypal....

From FAQ on www.paypal.com:

Do my customers need a PayPal account to pay me with Website Payments Standard?No. Customers don’t even need a PayPal account to pay you. A PayPal account is entirely optional.

Thank you for correcting me. My Paypal experience is limited to eBay and at the time I first started using it, you had to register. I always learn something new on this site!

Thank you for correcting me. My Paypal experience is limited to eBay and at the time I first started using it, you had to register. I always learn something new on this site!

It used to be this way. They changed it a few years ago, which makes it more convenient for sellers, since not everyone has a paypal account and shouldn't be 'forced' to register for one.

A quick question... sorry to intrude, does anyone know if you can use ProPay if you're at a craft fair for example? In other words, can people pay with a credit card without having to go online and order?

Yes, you can use ProPay for craft shows. I have a manual swiper but you can just write the customer info down if you don't want to purchase a swiper. You can also go with the higher package with ProPay that allows you to process the cards over the phone.

I also use both Paypal and Propay. Both have their own pros and cons. I have noticed in the past year that more people are wanting to go with the credit card option (Propay). I think some people just shy away from Paypal or don't realize they do not need an account to use it.

I have the premium account with Propay, this allows you to accept visa, master card, discover and amex. Plus you can phone it in from craft shows with this option (although I've never used this, as it gets too busy to actually call it in). I figure it's no different than taking a personal check...same risk.

I personally think its nice having both...gives your customers an option. :)