new to b&b some ? on fo in lotion

valerie6

Hi,

I am new to the whole b&b I order lip balm stuff and will be using flavor oils in it, but for lotion can I use fo as long as it is skin safe? And how do I figure out the amount you can use? For example I will be doing 16 oz. lotion base and I read somewhere 1% fo, how do I figure out the ounces or grams? If someone could please help me on this I would greatly appreciate it! Also, Do I need to clean out the tubes I bought to put the lotion or will they be ok?

Valerie

Hi Valerie! Welcome to the addictive world of B&B!

Yes, you can use FOs in lotion as long as they're B&B safe. I use 1% of the total weight of the lotion, so that's 99% base, 1% FO. For 16oz of base that would be 15.84oz of base, 0.16oz of FO.

We use the metric system here so it's actually easier for me to measure in grams. 1oz is roughly 30g so 16oz is 480g which means for 1% FO that's 475.2g base, 4.8g FO.

If your containers are straight from the supplier and have never been used then no, no need to clean them out. They're clean enough already. By cleaning them yourself, you'd just be introducing water to the tubes, which is no good :D

HTH!

Hi Valerie!!!

When I measure out for small quantities (well, actually, I now have a mini scale that measures in 0.000 grams, it's awesome!), this is how I calculate it.

You've got 16 oz of lotion. I tend to actually use less than 1% of FO (I like 1 oz per gallon as a ratio), but we'll stick to 1% for the instructions here.

16 x 0.01 (1%) = 0.16 oz

Then plug this into the Google Search Bar... 0.16 oz to ml

It will calculate it for you, and for this equation, you'll get 4.73 ml. The pipettes that are coming with the order have milliliter markings on the side. You'll measure out as close to 4.7 ml by volume using these markings. Since they only go up to 3 ml, you'll do two runs on it. Volume isn't nearly as accurate as weight, but for things like this, it's still pretty accurate. If you have any questions, just holler!

Hi Valerie!!!

When I measure out for small quantities (well, actually, I now have a mini scale that measures in 0.000 grams, it's awesome!), this is how I calculate it.

You've got 16 oz of lotion. I tend to actually use less than 1% of FO (I like 1 oz per gallon as a ratio), but we'll stick to 1% for the instructions here.

16 x 0.01 (1%) = 0.16 oz

Then plug this into the Google Search Bar... 0.16 oz to ml

It will calculate it for you, and for this equation, you'll get 4.73 ml. The pipettes that are coming with the order have milliliter markings on the side. You'll measure out as close to 4.7 ml by volume using these markings. Since they only go up to 3 ml, you'll do two runs on it. Volume isn't nearly as accurate as weight, but for things like this, it's still pretty accurate. If you have any questions, just holler!

Ooo... you learn something new every day!

I cheat though :cheesy2:

MMS has an awesomely useful measurement converter.

http://www.thesage.com/calcs/measures.html

Ooo... you learn something new every day!

I cheat though :cheesy2:

MMS has an awesomely useful measurement converter.

I just asked my webguy if he can create something like this for us. It'd be awesome if he could. As it is, I've answered this 'how do I calculate fo' question several times already just today. LOL!

I actually use my pomegranate flavor oil in all kinds of B&B products! My sister in law LOVES it in lotion! So while lip balm flavor oils can be used in B&B applications, that doesn't mean that Fragrance Oils can be used for lip balms. Different requirements. Basically, they need to be edible, very low irritating, things like that. And not all flavor oils hold up in B&B. I lost my supplier for the most fabulous Vanilla FO a while ago. And in my attempts to find a replacement, I tried out my Vanilla Flavor Oil in soap. Bad idea. Seized horribly.

Shows they're not all made alike, but for very specific applications.