Jewelry Wire

Late Night

I suck at making jewelry! I can't get a round loop on a bead to save my life. They all come out sort of tear drop shaped. I think I might be able to get it with practice though. I hope. Anyway, I want to make a chain of beads. I want each bead to have a loop at the end and hook on to each other that way. Not one single strand. Each bead like a seperate unit. I want to make some gifts for Christmas and yes, I need to start now if I am ever going to get that round loop!

My real question is, do you think 24 gauge wire is too fragile? I don't want them to fall apart but the thinner wire is so much easier to work with. It feels quit a bit flimsier (sp) than what the standard eye pens are made of though. Do you think 24 gauge is sturdy enough for gifts?

Practise your loops on cheap, pliable wire. First turn the end down in a right angle, use probably 1/4 - 1/3 inch of wire. Do this with your regular pliers. Then take your round nose pliers, grab the end and turn it. I usually bend my right wrist back so I can do this all in one fluid motion. It does take practise. I think firemountaingems shows you how to do this.

24 gauge is a little fragile, IMO. I only use 24 gauge headpins on freshwater pearls because the thicker ones won't work.