Changing your Tax ID #?

TartAddict

I just got my Tax Id number. Because I went ahead and registered as a sole proprietor for the time being, they used my social security number for my tax ID. I'm really nervous about this. I've had my identity stolen once already and it was a nightmare (the jerks set up an investing website with my information, you wouldn't believe how many angry telephone calls I got from investors wanting to know where their money was). I know that wholesale companies ask for your tax id and I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know if there's anyway to change the taxpayer id? Thanks in advance!

D

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same ID#. If you are referring to state or federal income tax - that is assigned by the federal government. It is used for reporting your Income Tax.

Most suppliers and manufacturers are looking for a Sales & Use Tax ID number or a Priviledge License number. This is the number assigned to retailers so they can report & pay the sales tax that you may be required to collect on items you sell. Check this link www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57033&highlight=tax before you get the Federal EIN.

In North Carolina the main office is in the state capitol and is the DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE. Did a little research on Arizona - seems a bit more confusing than NC. Did find a contact number though:

Arizona Department of Revenue

PO BOX 29010 • PHOENIX, AZ 85038-9010

For assistance out-of-state or in the Phoenix area: (602) 255-2060 or

Statewide, toll free from area codes 520 and 928: (800) 843-7196

HTH, Judy

Thanks to all of you. And yes, I'm baffled as to why in the world they'd even think about using SSN with all the identity theft going around! I did apply for the EIN and in the "reason" box...I put, "Don't want to use SSN". It gave me a # right away, but I'll probably go ahead and call to make sure I didn't muck anything up. *Sigh* Who knew starting a business was so confusing, LOL.

Did you apply for the EIN on the IRS website? If you did, you should not have any problems. If you are uncomfortable using your social security number etc. for your TIN/EIN due to how your business was designed try sending the information in this format. It doesn't look like a ssn.

12-345678.

It worked. I get them daily at my real job. Trust me, you don't want to try to get them on the phone. A few weeks ago the site was down (the government tried to upgrade it and it failed miserably), we were on the phone for 45 minutes. Your number was given to you automatically. In about 2-3 weeks you will receive an official IRS notification of your number. We've had the IRS assign duplicate numbers in the past, it all can be fixed, etc. No worrying needed.

There are new IRS regs coming out where an increase in EINs/TINs will be seen by all. SSNs will no longer be used.

(We do trusts, LLCs, corporations, etc.)

Being a sole proprietor, is there a need for an EIN? I don't plan on having any employees--basically the SBA told me I could get one and said "Hey, it's free".

But I haven't applied for one.

Just wondering if I should go ahead and get one, and also, what is the purpose of it?

Just a note...I have 2 businesses at the moment that are totally different. The first one I started in 2001 and it was assigned a tax Id number based on my SS number. Then, our state sent me a notice stating that my number had changed because they no longer want the Id number tied to anyone's SS number. Thus, my number is different that it was in 2001. I believe this change in TX happened in or around 2003 or 2004. Now when I opened my candle business I just contacted the Comptroller's office and they sent me another ID certificate with my new business name but the same ID number as the first (not my SS number). They did this because that number is tied to ME. I have to pay sales tax based on what I sell and what is reported that I bought using that tax ID number. Plus, for income tax purposes, I have to file self-employment tax as well. HTH.

Being a sole proprietor, is there a need for an EIN? I don't plan on having any employees--basically the SBA told me I could get one and said "Hey, it's free".

But I haven't applied for one.

Just wondering if I should go ahead and get one, and also, what is the purpose of it?

Nope...don't need it. Your state resale/tax # is all you need.