over dipping shells

I've been making seashell luminaries now when I first did them, and put them in the over dip and then the water bath they came out shiny. But now I' am getting a dull finish. Whats up with that? I'm doing everything the same. Do they absolutelly have to be over dipped? I am adding fish and grass to the outside, does the over dip help keep them on? I like them shiny. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dee :undecided

Dee.....you are driving me crazy.....Of course they don't have to be over dipped. I do it because it smooths out any drips left over from the heat gun process. Also....if I add flowers or leaves to the outside I want them coated with wax. I know we discussed the shiny thing, but I don't understand what is happening to your wax. Mine only come out very shiny IF I OVER DIP them in cold water. Are you adding any additives to the over dip. If you use just plain paraffin it should be shiny. When I add beeswax to my over dip it isn't as shiny. Try plain wax and dip at 200 and then into cool water......is that what you are doing? Donita

Sorry for driving you crazy...but I just thought I'd ask. When I over dip I use the 4045EP with a tiny bit of beeswax, heat to 200, dip it and then dip it in the cold water. When your as good as you are, Donita, people like me can be a PITA, I know. But I am sorry and never mind, I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway

You are never a PITA.....you wouldn't believe how many mistakes I made over the years. I love you and your questions. I respect that you are taking this so seriously just as I do. Maybe the beeswax is the problem. How much are you using? I just add a couple of teaspoons to several pounds of over dip wax. If I overdip at 180 I get a dull finish. I guess it depends on the size of the candle you are dipping because that immediately would cool the wax and the room temperature and the water temperature....and sometimes I don't know what in the heck is going on. I am not an expert.....just determined (smile) Donita