Wicks and the size of your flame !

Hi all :

I have a flaming question ! :undecided

I have been testing for nearly a year, many soy waxes, blends, fragrance from many different suppliers, and still dont have one candle that I would be 100% happy with. I have read countless message boards and if someone says they have great success with certain combinations, then I buy it and try it.

Anyway, my question is, since the size of the flame seems to change as it burns down, maybe huge at the beginning or maybe too low as it gets half way or more down, how do you decide which is the best. Or do you have this problem....maybe its just me! Or is it all about the scent, though it freaks me out when the flame is too big.

Kathy

I think a lot of people are satisfied with a mediocre burn as long as it throws scent. Making it smell good with an outstanding burn makes the product a cut above, but that can be much harder to do. What to aim for and what you should be satisfied with is entirely up to you. Anything is possible with time and money and learning.

No candle, IMO, burns great all the time. Depends on the jar, smaller here and there, airflow etc. After a year I'm sure you have a great candle and your just too hard on yourself. I'm sure if you got samples of others candles you would see your not doing so bad...:undecided

There are so many variables when testing wicks, wax, etc.

IF we were huge companies with huge budgets we could get down to the answers fast.

But we are not, so...............we have to be clever and take into consideration the humidity, wind, AC if you are in Calif. in the middle of summer, celing fans, lack of humidity etc, etc, etc.

That is why I am so grateful for this forum.

Well, youre just not going to please everyone. Likely your best measurement would be what YOU like. There are just so many variables to what makes a candle burn great and what people like in their candles.

I have a big peeve about a flame too high. Also about it being too low. A half inch to 3/4 of an inch is my margin. I only make candles for my own use and typically overwick rather than underwick, only because I can control the burn better. if it is burning too high, I just add some small wax chips or beads to the melt pool.

As for those big honkin 26 ounce mason jars, no offense meant anyone, I just dont like the flame starving and fluttering as it burns lower to the bottom. So if it's a candle I have been gifted that is about the time I will remelt for another candle.

For my own use, I use 2 1/2 and 3" metro jars, the ones with the straight sides that allow the wax to burn right to the sides and not get smokin hot at the same time.

A lot of people buy candles just to look at and almost never burn them. A lot of container candles are very pretty to look at but lousy to burn. Hazardous even.

So what's best is whats best for you.