Okay, can some break down Lip Balms for me?

starring

I searched and read tons of back posts but still need a bit more info!

1. Best bases in your opinion? What ingredients should I be looking for and how do you avoid that odd bumby feeling some balms get?

2. Best sites for flavor oils? Do you sweeten yours and with what? Would liquid stevia be okay?

3. where to buy the best supplies, like balm holders, tubes, shrink wrap, etc!

4. How do you color them? Like to make tinted balms?

Thanks gals!

I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a stab at what I know.

Bases... don't know because I make my own. People have said good things about bases from BCN and Soaper's Workshop.

I use a very simple recipe.

1 oz Beeswax

1 oz Shea Butter

1 oz Mango Butter

2 oz oils - usually 1 oz Sweet almond oil and 1 oz Macadamia nut oil

I vary my base recipe depending on if I want it softer (took the beeswax down to 0.5 oz and added 0.5 oz oil). This basic recipe is a lot like chapstick. Kind of waxy and translucent. I'm thinking about uppping the mango butter for more of a lip butter consistency. Be wary of using too much Shea -- I don't have a problem with the percentage that I use, but I imagine it would get grainy with too much more Shea.

I've gotten my flavor oils from MMS (The Sage). I use their Sugar Kisses flavor to sweeten -- that way I can control the level, but some people use liquid stevia.

This time I got my containers from MMS as well, but they are also available from SKS packaging and I'd go with them if I was placing a larger order.

No color yet.... can't help with that one at all.

1. Not sure, ordering some of Lindsay's mac & jojoba in, never tried others yet, but I've seen plugs for Lindsay's (Soaper's Workshop), Bitter Creek North, Majestic Mountain Sage.

2. MMS has some pre-sweetened flavor oils and I think they have a sweetener called sugar kisses. Brambleberry also has pre-sweetened flavor oils, and powdered stevia. Liquid stevia should be fine, though you may have to be careful to keep stirring til it's cool enough that it won't separate. I've had honey pockets if I don't stir long enough. NOT nice! Other options are honey and agave nectar.

3. Not sure what "best" means... cheapest? most elegant looking?

4. A quick search for "lip safe colorants" should pull up quite a few hits. In a pinch you can just shave off a little bit of lipstick and add that to the mix.

For quick and easy, you may want to try lip balm kits. Lindsay at Soaper's Workshop has some reasonably priced lip balm kits that have 16oz of lip balm base, 100 lip balm tubes, enough flavor oil for the base and some pipettes for pouring. I can't wait for my mac & jojoba one! :yay:

I searched and read tons of back posts but still need a bit more info!

1. Best bases in your opinion? What ingredients should I be looking for and how do you avoid that odd bumby feeling some balms get?

before i made my own, i used BCN base. Personally, I love hemp oil in my balms.

2. Best sites for flavor oils? Do you sweeten yours and with what? Would liquid stevia be okay?

i get my flavors from a variety of places (MMS, Sweet Cakes, Oregon Trail, BCN, and Southern Soaper). I sweetened my flavor balms with Sugar Kisses from MMS. The essential oil blends I don't sweetened.

3. where to buy the best supplies, like balm holders, tubes, shrink wrap, etc!

I get my tubes and shrink wrap from Elements Bath and Body. as for holder, I use the lip balm holder from For Crafts Sake.

4. How do you color them? Like to make tinted balms?

I don't color my balms, however, MMS has colors esp. for lip balm coloring

Thanks gals!

Hope this helps and good luck

I will tell you that there are some really great recipes on this board for lip balm, I happen to use one of them and love it.

On the other notes if I can remember them all, I have never used anyones base, just made my own.

I buy all my flavorings from MMS and they are sweat so need to sweaten them. I also use their lip balm coloring and I love it! I don't use the essential oil ones, just the flavoring ones

I think I covered the most part, have fun, good luck.

ETA: i use elements for their tubes too and I use the holder from MMS