Master Batch Revisited....for the blonde in me

Kymber

Ok I have read everything I can on Master Batching both the Lye Solution and also on the oils/butters. I have been working on understanding this for a couple weeks on and off.

Does anyone master batch their lye solution and use sugar and salt in the solution?? And also silk? For some reason or another this is confusing the crap out of me. I know the weight of the sugar & salt will have to be figured into the total weight per batch........... I can't figure out how to do a master batch by solution percentage with this added. So do I just take my recipe and take the water x5 and the lye x5 and then add the weight of the TBS sugar x 5 and tsp salt x 5...........add the weight of the water, lye, sugar, salt (per batch)??

Ok I just confused myself again! I so hate math! Anyone do a master batch solution using sugar and salt or one or the other??? TIA!!

On another forum I read someone who masterbatches lye with silk and he needs to mix the solution really well before pouring off any as it separates. Never thought about salt and sugar but I don't think it would be a problem.

As for how much to use, you have me confused.

I don't use sugar or salt, but I do use silk, which doesn't make much, if any difference in the weight of my solution..but here is what I would do if I were you.

Say your solution is 5 oz lye and 10 oz water and your combined weight of your sugar and salt is 1 oz. That gives you 16 oz. of solution.

Make your pre-mixed solution for as many batches as you want...in your post you said x5, so I'm assuming 5 batches.

Your master batch would be 25 oz lye, 50 oz. water and 5 oz of your combined sugar-salt. When you are ready to make your batch, you would pour off 16 oz. of that pre-mixed solution.

Does that help you any?

I'm the guy carebear is talking about. I master-batch my recipe oils/fats and premix my lye solution. I mix equal amounts of aloe vera juice with lye. After pouring the EXACT same weight of lye into the aloe vera juice, I then stir in my silk. I let this solution cool a bit before carefully using a stainless steel funnel and pouring into my Gain Detergent bottle with a spout and cap. I stir my premixed lye solution in it. The built in spout is really nice. I have used 6 week old solution with perfect results. I keep the jug stored in a closet up high, out of the light, and in an air conditioned soaping room. A 50% solution is so simple to use. I also add a bit of salt sometimes and always some sugar. I add these 2 ingredients to the cold fresh goat milk. I stick blend them in the cup containing the very cold GM. I usually add about 1 T. PPO of sugar, and when I do add salt, about 1/2T. PPO. To help my salt dissolve better in the very cold GM, I pregrind in my coffee grinder my salt into a powder. It works well for me, and makes a great hard bar very quick. I love RTCP and RT lye solution soapmaking. as it works for me.

Paul....:highfive:

ETA: Kymber, if you need help figuring your solution amount if you want to try my method, send me your recipe or the amount of lye required and how much liquid you need for your recipe, and I'll PM you the exact amount needed and how easy it really is. This method is so handy to figure your lye plus it's easier when doing a water discount. I love it since I add GM as the rest of my needed liquid for m HTH's!y recipes. You could add milks, aloe vera juice, anything to make up for the rest of your needed liquids. I use farm fresh GM, but add a little powdered GM to make up the difference of the aloe vera juice, so I can say it's made with GM.