Lots of stuff... where do I start?

Ok...

Got my presto pot converted...

Got 3 starter kits (pillar/votive/container)

Got a couple of extra different waxes and some wic sample packs.

I have been saving different candle containers over the past year so I could dive into this when I was ready to do so. Now I have a delema...

WHERE do I start? :confused:

Is it suggested to start with containers? Are they the easiest to start with?

Should I start with the hardest type first so the others will be easy?

What the heck is the difference between the RRD wick and the HTP wick?

Are there actually words for those initials?

There is so much information here and I have an abundance of supplies to start with but I am at a complete stand still cause I have not a clue as to where to go from here. :embarasse

Help?

~Shy~

Start on step #1 of the pillar instructions. I found containers to be harder cause you have to worry about the heat of the glass, but then with a pillar, you have to worry about over-flow aka: blow-out.

It actually doesn't matter where you start as long as you start somewhere:grin2:

Start with whatever candle type you like the most. You have to like what you are making. I love container candles, so that's where I started. The one plus to container candles is that you can have great hot throw due to a contained meltpool. Pillars do not have large meltpools in most cases, therefore less scent throw.

Whatever style you choose, go with a small version. Otherwise you will end up wasting tons of wax and materials on trial and error. Also, you have to completely burn the candle to ensure that it is a good product. If you have a 12 ounce container candle, that could take a very, very, long time.

Also think about whether you want to do paraffin wax or soy wax.

If you use the search engine, you will find tons of info that will help you out. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Hi Shy!!:wave:

Welcome to the wonderful world of candlemaking, it seems like you have everything you need to get started except maybe a candlemaking book or two to add towards your list as well. There are several out there but one that sticks out in my mind is, The Candlemaker's Companion, try checking it out at the library.

Where to start....

That all depends on you... I started with votives as you don't need alot of wax to make a couple, and they are easier to test. Once I got the hang of making votives, I went onto Pillars (they're only bigger votives, right??), containers to me is a little harder as each container is different which may require different wicks due to different burns, bit once you get the formula that works there's no stopping ya!! :wink2:

Whatever you decide make sure to conquer one thing before moving to something else and take plenty of notes...lord knows what I would do if I didn't have my notes!!!:laugh2:

Don't forget to post pics of you work as well!!!

Hmmm. Let's see.

It was four years ago, but I still remember the order I started in.

votives, then containers, then pillars

no reason though. I just liked votives best at that time and the thought of making pillars scared me for some reason. lol

If you start with containers start with testing one size first. When you are pleased then move on to another. When I started I purchased every size and type of container that I thought I wanted to make, small tins, large tins, small glass, large apothecary...I must have been insane at the time because I started testing several different sizes at once! Start small work your way up, take good notes!