lotion help

katshe

can you use something else besides water for the water part in a lotion recipe that is not oil?

like- I don't know...juice or witch hazel...I guess I am trying to avoid having to have it tested to sell it... but looks like I may have to since so many tester love this lotion

Yep. Just about anything water-based like juices, hydrosols, witch hazel, milk, teas, etc. though bear in mind that some of the more complex liquids (like goat's milk) could possibly make your preservation process a lot harder :D

If you're going to use something complex, I'd definitely go for testing (well, testing's recommended no matter what you use really, if you're thinking of selling. Better safe than sorry!). You may find a recipe that is fine with water may need more preservative with something else, that sort of thing, and sometimes if a lotion goes funky, it doesn't always show right away.

when you say "test" does that mean you need to test it on yourself, or do you need to have some sort of lab tests done? and if so, how do you go about that and what is the cost.

I've been doing bases, but i would love to come up with something custom that could possibly save me $$ having the bases shipped.

Any thoughts/ideas?

TIA

Well, self tests will do for basic things like separation, but it's not always reliable for checking the efficacy of your preservation system. Sometimes if a lotion has gone moldy or is currently the host for the Annual Bacteria Meetup, it's not always visible to the naked eye. Lab testing is a must for that sort of thing.

I think there's a thread here somewhere about lab testing, you could just run a search. If I remember right there are two types, a basic one that costs about $40 and another one that costs about $400. Maybe one of the lotion experts will clarify.

If you are going to sell a product like lotion that has water in it , it has to be sent out to be tested ...that;s the info I have rounded up..not sure where to have this done as of yet , I will need to in the furure as I do have a friend that absolutly loves my lotion...she tried some of it one day ,,,all she could say is "make me some of that!"

Looks like I am going to have to do some more research

Not even sure what the cost of something like that is or that I could afford it.