"Watering Down" FOs

bugtussle

Will someone in the know pls tell me what unscruptulous suppliers can water down FOs with besides DPG? I had a very GOOD supplier & I know when I bought a large quantity of FOs from that company (15 to 20#s,) that something was added because I cannot make it burn good, even going up 1 or 2 wick sizes. The FO is "thick." Still smells good, but just difficult to burn. I found a # of the old FO yesterday and it is burning great.

This happened to me several yrs ago with another supplier & I contacted them because I had made candles, sold them & they would not burn. They gave a lame excuse, but hasn't happened since with them.

I'm thinking seriously about sending a sample to Robert @ Taylored Concepts to see what he thinks was added. He is a friend of mine & could run some tests. I will not give the name of the supplier unless I know something for sure. Just a warning, if you buy in large quantities, retest before you start selling from the big batch. With the high cost of fragrances, you would think "supplier honesty" would be very important. Thks for listening, Carole

Sorry to hear about that... I don't know what suppliers would add to FO other than DPG maybe just rubbing alcohol but it isn't thick. I know of one supplier when I place a large order of FO's I will get one or two fo's that either have a very light scent or it will smell just like rubbing alcohol. I thought it was just a fluke and after a few more orders and different scents it happened again. I don't order from this company anymore. I have even noticed some of the fo's would lose their scent or the scent would change so I would end up having to throw them away. I thought it was just this particular supplier and when I placed an order from another place I got a similar experience. I finally found two suppliers that I haven't had any problems with and just do business with.... It is very costly to us as consumers. I wonder if their are any guidelines that the suppliers have to follow to make sure they are selling pure fragrance oils?

• 2 weeks later...

One scent mfg. I talked to said they use Orange oil and sometimes the color is different. That's what I was asking about. I would like to know what BG uses in theirs cause it is so thick. Maybe they don't and it comes from the mfg. like that. Not even sure they use DPG cause it's thicker than some scents I get. Some are thin as water and when I shake they kinda suds up. Strange...:confused: