Question about Bath fizzies

lou lou

I just started trying to make bath fizzies for my son and i am having no luck with them. I did the recipe and my citric acid started to activate:mad: . I put them in a small muffin tin and the got really big on me and they don't fizz in water. Maybe its the recipe or maybe its just me, here is my recipe

1 c baking soda

1/2 c corn starch

1/2 c sea salt

1/2 c citric acid

2 tbsp light oil

15 drops of fo

6 tsp witch hazel

color

I did this and oh what a mess. Does anyone have a good recipe for fizzies or can help me out and let me know what i did wrong. Any suggestions will help out a lot. Thanks

I'm not an expert but here is what I do. I mix my web and dry ingredients seperately. Wait until you have mixed your liquids in with the dry ingredients and mix that together. Then add the citric acid at the very last.

Should stick together. You also may be adding to much witch hazel. I could be wrong about that one.

HTH.

Chauna:tiptoe:

The last batch that I made didn't turn out so well and it's because it was too wet. I also used teaspoons but I read on here that you can put the witch hazel in a spray bottle. You would then spritz your mixture until it feels like sand, and then put into molds. There are some good recipes in the recipe section or you can also do a search for bath bombs.

Andrea

too much liquid will make them activate along with humidity & any type of moisture in the air. I never add water or WH unless in a spray bottle and I always add all my liquids very slowly and I do it by feel rather then by recipe. You want it almost dry but slightly moist, just enough to start to form a shape but not wet. If that makes sense. if you activate it all at once then it wont fit in water because its already activated. If you have too much moisture you can also end up with "warts". Practice alot and watch your weather.

too much liquid will make them activate along with humidity & any type of moisture in the air. I never add water or WH unless in a spray bottle and I always add all my liquids very slowly and I do it by feel rather then by recipe. You want it almost dry but slightly moist, just enough to start to form a shape but not wet. If that makes sense. if you activate it all at once then it wont fit in water because its already activated. If you have too much moisture you can also end up with "warts". Practice alot and watch your weather.

eta:read your recipe...too much liquids....you need to adjust it so that theres not so much. Go by feel.

Good luck. Bath fizzies were the hardest thing for me to get right. I did several batches until it was remotely right . I decided that they have a mind of their own and will turn out when they feel like it. I have the best luck putting mine into clamshell tarts and letting them dry and then closing the lid.

One of the best things I did when making bath bombs is to use an electric hand mixer - a little dusty, but those puppies don't have chance to fizz on me! I do use a bit of water mixed in with my FO and oils, no witch hazel and it works out wonderfully!

Bethany

Hi there, too much liquid is definitely to blame. Also, what sort of color did you use? Did that contain water as well? You really don't need to add even a teaspoon of water, that is too much still. I do like so many others and use a sprayer. One spritz then mix with a wire wisk, squish the mix in my hands to see if it hold its shape. It should be sort of like packed brown sugar, it holds its shape well but does NOT feel wet so just keep spraying until it feels like that. I personally only spritz 3-4 times. If you have coloring that contains water I find it's best to make a little well in the dry mix, then put my oils in there and put the liquid coloring there on top of the oil and quickly but gently mix in to minimize the reaction. I hope this helps! They really need to be VERY firmly packed in molds also, that way they really will not expand at all. Oh and definitely watch the humidity in the house, try to only make these on dry days if you can. :)

Melany

Hi there, too much liquid is definitely to blame. Also, what sort of color did you use? Did that contain water as well? You really don't need to add even a teaspoon of water, that is too much still. I do like so many others and use a sprayer. One spritz then mix with a wire wisk, squish the mix in my hands to see if it hold its shape. It should be sort of like packed brown sugar, it holds its shape well but does NOT feel wet so just keep spraying until it feels like that. I personally only spritz 3-4 times. If you have coloring that contains water I find it's best to make a little well in the dry mix, then put my oils in there and put the liquid coloring there on top of the oil and quickly but gently mix in to minimize the reaction. I hope this helps! They really need to be VERY firmly packed in molds also, that way they really will not expand at all. Oh and definitely watch the humidity in the house, try to only make these on dry days if you can. :)

Melany

I used only 2 drop of coloring and our humidity in louisiana in horrible. It has been raining here for weeks and weeks. I did't think the weather would have anything to do with it but i guess i was wrong. Thanks for all the helpful info.Oh and i think i may have spritzed too much witch hazel. I think i just did everything wrong. We'll i will try again Thanks...........