ASTM rated jars??

It has been brought to my attention about jar safety and that ASTM(American

Socicety for Testing and Materials....something like that) are probably the best jars to use for safety reasons especially if you double wick containers. So far my suppliers "say" that theirs are all ASTM rated. Perhaps this is something we should all check into especially if it could help reduce product liability costs....Just a thought....anyother comments sure are welcome...I so much want to learn more about what we do and how to do it more safely.

Mike

Even with ASTM rated you are still at risk most ASTM codes only require are sample testing of what ever it is for the code.

I am going to give you a little info from my former life as an industrial radiographer

The inspector decide according to the procedure he came up with what code was called for in inspection well not all code are created equal depending on the code we would Xray anywhere from 10% to 100% of the welds 100% was usually reserved for extreme high pressure or where the welds would be under a lot of stress. Even with all the inspection and xrays done if something went wrong the contractor and inspection on the job is still held liable if something goes wrong and they can prove it was due to the welding and not a weakness or corrosion of the pipe. All the glass company has to do is say your candle themselves where burning to hot for the container and the liability falls right back on you. You would have to prove that the glass was faulty.

My point really is just because it ASTM rated doesn't mean much if something goes wrong because ASTM will not beheld liable and neither will the glass manufacturer. I do respect ASTM because with out them things would be a lot worse where safety is concerned.

I would never rely on ASTM rating to limit my liability because it is a false sense of security.

Hi Vicky and thanks for the post. I agree with you that now days especially that it doesn't much matter what something says it usually doesn't carry much weight to it unless there is some kind of state or federal legislation to put some teeth into it. Maybe that is what is needed....and like you said it's at least a beginning and does offer some kind of guidelines to follow. I also agree that one should not lessen the amount of product liability just because it is rated by someone as being somewhat safe. Again,thanks for the post I think it's great advice.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring an old topic up front, but ran across it in a search. Looking into astm standards for labeling jar candles and ran across this thread. Seeing this made me think about how important it might be to take notes while making candles. Something I'd seen mentioned, but didn't give it as much weight as it deserved.

I still haven't made any candles yet, but if I'm going to do this, I really want to do it right. This thread made me realize one thing. I plan on giving people I know some candles for Christmas, and only after testing. If I manage to get to the point before Christmas to actually be able to give some as gifts, I need to take notes on what my finished product is. What it consists of. Everything that's in it, and if a few batches happen out of it, identify them somehow. Save receipts and everything and connect them to the batches. Man so much to know before even thinking about making a candle.

I have a new found respect, for the safety end of things, and became aware of this after reading the lawsuit thread. I can see it would be very important, to keep track of materials used if you ever need to go to court for something God forbid. Even if it was just a gift and not sold.

I love this place. I'm learning so much. Thank you. :) And much respect to everyone who's sharing all their wisdom and knowledge. More than making a good candle that smells and looks pretty, I want to make a safe one. All this stuff is really good to know. :)