stain stick recipe questions

We bought a stain stick from a fellow farmer's market vendor. It work incredibly well, according to my wife. I'd like to try making some. Here are the ingredients, in order:

Vegetable shortening

water

coconut oil

olive oil

lye

cornmeal

I'm looking for some ballpark proportions to start with. Any ideas? I am aware that I don't want to superfat....much..

Thanks!

Tony

I just make mine with 100% lard (or coconut oil) - and lye & water of course. 0.5% SF. Cannot imagine what the cornmeal would be for unless you want to scrub at the stain and I think it could damage fibers if you do. Olive oil & crisco are conditioning - another thing I don't think you need.

IMHO.

I just make mine with 100% lard (or coconut oil) - and lye & water of course. 0.5% SF. Cannot imagine what the cornmeal would be for unless you want to scrub at the stain and I think it could damage fibers if you do. Olive oil & crisco are conditioning - another thing I don't think you need.

IMHO.

Yeah, the recipe seemed a tad odd, but my wife said it worked well. I could see how the cornmeal could damage delicates.

I have some lard. I suppose I'll give that a try.

Tony

Mine's 100% coconut, 1% superfat. Cut while warm. Funny, this product kicked my butt - took me 3 batches until I got it so it looked decent without a partial gel. First time I let it go too long and couldn't cut it, and got partial gel. Second time I soaped it really hot and it climbed right out of the mold. Third time was the charm.

And 100% coconut takes *forever* to trace.

Mine's 100% coconut, 1% superfat. Cut while warm. Funny, this product kicked my butt - took me 3 batches until I got it so it looked decent without a partial gel. First time I let it go too long and couldn't cut it, and got partial gel. Second time I soaped it really hot and it climbed right out of the mold. Third time was the charm.

And 100% coconut takes *forever* to trace.

So, this probably isn't a recipe to cut my teeth on, eh? :) I've yet to try a CP soap, but I have most of the supplies I need to get started, minus a mold and some safety equip (important).

Tony

I wet the clothing and rub it on good.

If you pour it into tubes it can be hard to turn it up the first time so I "prime" them before giving them away (actually cracked a couple). I haven't tried greasing the tubes or anything - thought it might defeat the purpose.