Mushroom's fragmenting

Another wick question. Most of my wicks mushroom, some anyway. My question is, are wicks from different companies made differently so that when you dip the wick to extinguish they don't fall apart and leave bits in the wax? If so, what companies are stronger (not sure that is the proper terminology)? I know I can't be the only one that has this problem and need advice from the pros out there! TIA. Beth

I hadn't even thought about that, but think it's more as it burns down. The 51, 60 and 62Cs and the 47, 50 and 55 RRDs and even some of the HTPs (these seem to be about the best) seem to want to mushroom if I wick big enough to clean the glass. Using cb3 wax with additve or beeswax at about 1.7%. For instance, a 51C mushroomed and still didn't clean an 8 oz. jelly jar with baked apple/cinn. mix FO at 8.3%. Thought the 60C would be too big. The RRD 47 is doing good that way and with mp, but with a big mushroom. The RRd 40s won't clean in heavier scents. These are fairly dark colored candles. Does color make the wick mushroom lots more? I'm close to going either no color or just pastel. I have ecos that seem not to mushroom, but can't seem to find the right size. Seems they need to be wicked up quite a bit over recommendation...at least a 10 in heavier scents. Just got CDs and not sure where to start with them in the jj and in 8 oz. square masons. Someday I'm going to have to have a wick sale! LOL. Beth

Well, that blows a theory I had, but, it doesnt' suprise me that the HTPs you say are the best, the C's and RRDs are both cored wicks - may be try some other HTPs or LXs. I don't use your wax or those wicks but you are using nearly 9% FO. IMO color isn't going to cause too much mushrooming, but the FO will. The BW - a little, but not as much as the FO.

If you like the HTPs you will probably like the CDs - they both bend, both coreless, so will probably be some of the best you are going to get as far as for not mushrooming as much as the cored wicks.

Hopefully someone can chime in that use your wax.

Good luck!

FYI: CD's and HTP's are basically the same wick. HTP's are American made and the CD's are German made. Just didn't want anyone to waste money when you can buy one or the other, instead of both. Alan told us about this last year...just thought you might want to know.