Pretty Simple Butter Balm

Jadryga

I modified a simple waterless "Coconut Whipped Cream" recipe I got from a thread in Susun Weed's forum. Really simple to make and fun! :yay:

3 tbsp beeswax pellets

2 tbsp macadamia nut oil

3 tbsp rice bran oil

3 tbsp coconut oil

6 tbsp glycerine

The original recipe called for 4 tbsp each of coconut and sao, but I can't quite get sao here and I'm having a love affair with mac oil and rbo, so I substituted those instead!

The mac oil helps it sink in, nothing softens my skin like rbo and the coconut oil is good for you, though I don't like coconut oil much since I can only get vco here, and I'm not too fond of the coconut-y scent (I love the smell of coconut cream though. I used vco for this, and now I smell like coconuts :P ). Might substitute the vco with 1 tbsp avocado and 2 tbsp grapeseed or sunflower.

Not greasy, though there's a slight tacky/greasy feeling I can't quite describe... I think it's from the glycerine. Now I'm inspired to get some IPM and hydrovance/honeyquat from Lotioncrafter!

Not sure if this cream will separate, waiting to see.

BTW, cleaning the stick blender is a pain and a half :laugh2:

OK! Update 1 hour later... I can't get past the tacky glycerine-ness. 30% glycerin is just too much for me, I think.

I'm probably going to cut the glycerin to 2-3 tbsp and up the oils. More mac nut oils, and probably some grapeseed instead of coconut.

Additional note, apparently the other person on the Susun Weed forum got the original recipe (same ratio of beeswax : oils : glycerin) from "The Natural Beauty Book", by Anita Guyton.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jadryga -

I just wanted to follow up and see if you tweaked this one any more since your last thread. After reading it before, I ordered the MNO and RBO to play with.

I want to try this recipe out :drool: I think I will add a little emu oil as well. My daughter's best friend is 6 1/2 months pregnant and crying tonite because she has started getting stretch marks on her hips. She has been using my lotion bars on her belly and hips. No marks on her belly YET but she wants to know what I can make to help with the ones starting :laugh2:

I think the properties of these oils, just might make a great belly balm!

Are you using the 76 degree coconut oil or the fco? I have all the ingredients except the rbo and am going to try it out :)! I went to Costco about 4 months ago and they had tons of RBO there, I go yesterday and it is no longer there darnit!:mad: Just goes to show I should have got it when I saw it, now only if the husband would agree on this way of thinking lol!

Angi

Hey Jadryga -

I just wanted to follow up and see if you tweaked this one any more since your last thread. After reading it before, I ordered the MNO and RBO to play with.

I want to try this recipe out :drool: I think I will add a little emu oil as well. My daughter's best friend is 6 1/2 months pregnant and crying tonite because she has started getting stretch marks on her hips. She has been using my lotion bars on her belly and hips. No marks on her belly YET but she wants to know what I can make to help with the ones starting :laugh2:

I think the properties of these oils, just might make a great belly balm!

Alas, though it is nice to rub stuff on her belly it won't do diddley for stretch marks...

Probably won't do much for existing, old stretch marks... haven't really played with this one, because I used up all my glycerin for something else!

My cousin's wife is currently using one of my oils for her belly... it's just pure MNO and avocado. I keep meaning to make some of this for her belly, but she's liking the other oils so far, so haven't really gotten around to it :D

Not sure it'll totally prevent stretch marks, but keeping skin soft and supple will probably lessen the chances of them occurring?

I've been using virgin coconut oil... good for those who like the scent, I guess. I personally don't. It's alright for a while, but it lingers for a good LONG time.