Newby Needs Help!! Where Do I begin?

Hi Everyone,

I am ready to take the next step in my business and make my Bath & Body Collection. I have done so much research and to be honest with you my brain has been overloaded.

Does anyone have any advice to give me on where to start? I know for sure that I am going to do soaps, Lotions, Lip Balms, Glosses & Whipped Body Butters ect. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start and what companies are the best. I don't want to waste alot of money buying the wrong stuff. I want to have good quality products people want to come back and buy again.

Also I have seen some really neat reciepes for ready to pour soaps. When it comes to adding essential oils along with your fragrance oil. How do you know how much essential oil to add to your home spun soap along with the FO? I am really confused over this.

I appreciate everyones advice. Take care & God Bless!!

E'dee Johnson:yay:

Hey E'dee! :)

Lip balms/lotion bars and whipped butters are good, easy things to start with, and use mostly the same stuff! You're probably going to have to experiment a lot to see what you'd like to keep in your line. I know I'm still experimenting! Scrubs are good too... you could probably start with anhydrous and move on to emulsified later. I'm still wary of making things that require preservation... not really up for forking out for testing yet, and don't want to inflict untested products on people. Still, it's fun to experiment for myself :yay:

If you want to include lotions in your line, maybe you could start with a good lotion base while you practice :D

Simple things you could start with:

Lip balm

Lotion bars

Lip glosses

Whipped butters

Salves/ointments

Massage/moisturizing oils

Cyclo sprays for body, linen, etc

Salt/sugar scrubs

Bath melts

Bath bombs

Bath salts

Bath teas

... awkay, I think that's about enough to fill a BIG spa basket :laugh2:

Be wary of making to large a batch of lotions at a time

i have made a few that turned out like shortening...sooo greasy and lotions have to be sent out to be tested i believe,,,I only make lotion for personal use

my favorite lotion is more like a cream and took me a heep of searching and experimenting

It's a simple recipe of virgin coconut oil, water, baking soda Stearic and germabenII Which I had to tweek a bit.

I get supplies from mms and wsp

For soaps I use oils I can get locally

Asfar as adding eo's to hp or cp soaps, I believe most of us use 1/2 ounce per lb of oils

I used 1 oz Fo per 3 lbs soap and was too strong for me, but being as you do not wrap homespun soap the fragrance will lessen over time...some put cured soap in a box with a scented cotton ball..I haven't tried yet.

I think soap is the easiest to start with...everybody needs soap and homespun soap is the best. Do your home work before beginning this as it can be dangerous using lye. Deffinatly run recipe through soapcalc to get proper lye and water amounts. If using melt&pour soap-wsp silk & shea has been my fav. Stephensons base does not lather and my customers hate it.

That's why I started making my own soap.

My basics For lotions and soaps & what not

Coconut oil

olive oil

palm oil

canola oil

sunflower oil

cocoa butter

jojoba oil

caster oil

germabenII

Hope this was helpful:wink2:

I'm in Malaysia, so our Independence Day is actually on the 31st of August, heh! :yay:

My basic list of oils is different too, these are what I can easily get here at supermarkets, aromatherapy shops, health food stores and rustic Indian shops...

castor oil

rice bran oil (nothing softens my skin like RBO, though it's slightly thick)

sunflower oil

macadamia nut oil (LOVE this stuff!)

palm oil

olive oil

grapeseed oil

sesame oil

coconut oil

palm oil

avocado oil

hazelnut oil

canola oil

cocoa butter

I'm thinking about ordering in some shea and jojoba soon though :bliss:

I started soaping with a starter kit and recipes from Majestic Mountain Sage. Bittercreek north also has some good soap and body products starter kits to try things out.

Once I gt the hand of CP soap, I bought oils from Columbus foods in bulk.

I make sure to buy Fo's that are good in both soap and candles so I don't get confused.