Butter Bay Rum

GrandmaArial

Ok… I made the butter soap, not what I expected. Decided to do the room temperature technique. Went to wally world last night as I need more coconut oil anyway, they were out… don’t know when they will be getting more… anyway got a new pitcher with a tight fitting lid small enough to stick in refrigerator, which the cat can’t open.

When it was about room temperature I melted my hard oils and added my liquid oils, sat and read a book while they were cooling. Started mixing them… and as I was pouring the lye water into the oils it… the only thing I can think to call it is curdled. As the lye water touched the oils it was instant solid. Not rock hard solid, but like a soft cheese solid, and the remaining oil did not want to mix in. so I beat it into submission with my trusty oster HB and it turned a rather pleasing shade of pinkish beige. Thinned down marginally then started tracing. This was about 2 ½-3 minutes after I started pouring the lye in. So I quickly added 1 oz of bay infused OO to which I had added some finely ground orange peal with a little hibiscus. It’s all tucked in now… we will see.

I can't wait to hear how it ultimately turns out. It is so much fun experimenting, isn't it?

This threw me through a loop when it moved so fast, and the color. I was expecting a pale orange, as butter has carotene in it...

I chose a mock bay rum because I'm hopeing it will go with any smell left from the milkfat. Or cover it up. :wink2:

I doubt I'll repeat this recipe, unless it surprises me and turns out to be a really really nice soap.:P

CareBear. I used infused oil (bay leaf, powdered orange peal, jasmine, and hibiscus) for scent. Added some of the flowers and orange peal (all powdered) for appearance. An the milk fat I used is clarified butter, butter which has been heated to separate the milk solids and evaporate the water out. (as discussed in the thread “Butter Soap?” this forum, message #12.)