another tax question

Darwin

If you are a sole proprietorship, you would file schedule C in addition to your regular return. If your net earnings exceed $400, you also need to file schedule SE. If you have a home office and qualify for the home office deduction, you'll need to file form 8829 to claim it.

The small room would count. As for the kitchen, I am not sure...I think it would depend on whether a section of it (e.g. cupboards) is used exclusively to store your supplies. As I am no tax expert, I'd suggest you obtain copies of all these forms I mentioned. You can order them through the IRS website (look for "forms and publications by mail" or you can print them out but I think it's simpler just to have a copy sent to you). You'll be getting the forms for the 2004 tax year as this year's won't be ready yet, but looking through the instructions will be helpful as the questions don't change very much from year to year. The instructions would tell you what you are or are not eligible to deduct. Also order publication 334 (it's a free booklet called "tax guide for small businesses") as it provides further information which you may find helpful.