Soy And Beeswax

I was just wondering to those that add beeswax to their soy..what percentage would you add to 1 lb of soy?

What are the advantages that you are getting by adding it?

My reason I am wanting to try, is to see if I can get a better hot throw.

But I thought I would ask first...

In the summer I use 3% and in the winter I use 2%. You might test it and decide you like different percentages. More than 5% though can cause cracking and you will probably have to wick up on all FOs. It helps me to get smoother tops and cuts down on my frosting but does not completely alleviate it. Some say it does help with the throw but I'm not really convinced it does or doesn't.

For better hot throw, what wax are you using, what size container, what size wick and what FO from where? Adding beeswax can have many small advantages, depending... but first, you need to eliminate the most common problems for not getting a good hot throw.

I use 96% EZ Sooy and 4% beeswax. I tried 3% beeswax and that didn't give me the results I wanted.

I have no idea if the beeswax helps with throw; I've never done a comparison with and without. I use it to get smooth tops.

Thanks for the reply...I am using the Terrece Jars from Fairway Glass,,10, 16 & 26 0z..4" diameter..I have used Fo from Flickers, BCN, BCS, ICS, Snowtop, Alabaster, and just ordered samples from the Tennesse Sale, and ordered from 2 suppliers from Ebay,,one which say their oil is from I F T ..I have used about all the wicks available..but have choosen the CD wicks...I have tried the ELM wax CB Advanced,,and now I am using GB 415 & 464..I try to follow the guide lines for heating , amount of FO for the soy wax, pour temp, but to be truthful, I am really struggling to get a good hot throw..I did test burn a new FO tonight that within 10 min. of lighting it I knew it would be good..It was Orange Peel & Cinnimon from Alabaster..but I have used dozens of samples and maybe 2 out of a dozen are keepers..So any help or direction, on something I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated...i just feel I am butting my head against a wall sometimes...AM I alone in this or does this happen to all of you candle makers..I will say I have only been at this about 6 months, so I know I have alot to learn..But my pocketbook is getting pretty slim...lol:laugh2:

One other thing I want to say and forgot..the reason for the beeswax,,as in a earlier thread I mentioned the Mia Bella Candles..They from what I understand have started using beeswax to help with their hot throw..so I thought maybe it could help..

8Gran1s I don't use the kind of wax that you are using nor do I use FOs from any of the suppliers you listed, or the same wicks. so I can't give you any specific help but I can tell you what I would do if I had this problem. I would pick ONE size container and one size/type of wick and a FO that I KNEW had good hot throw. I would dial in on ONE size container; then when I got that one right, I would use it as my "standard" and try another FO and see if I needed to wick up/down...

It takes time to get things just right. When you start feeling confused at your results, take a giant step back to a point where you felt you were more successful or on the right track. Sometimes FOs that work well for one person in one kind of wax just don't make it for another person using a different kind of wax. It just sounds like you haven't found the magic combo yet.

Hopefully, someone who uses the same kind of wax and FOs that you are using will have some specific tips for you. :)

thanks stella...you are up kind of late tonight....You know I have kind of found what wicks work in my containers..it seem like the size i use the most is the CD 10..once in a while i have to wick up one or down one..my jars are all the same diameter they are just different in height..my biggest problem it seem now is just finding the fo that really throw good...maybe i am asking to much..but what i want is scents that when you light up that you can really start to smell them with out having to put my nose almost in the candle..is that unrealistic? but yes i probably need to reavaluate what I am doing..and try to narrow it down..and not try to do it all today..lol

I'm going out on a limb here because I am not familiar with your wax, but a CD 10 in a 4" diameter container seems underwicked to me... The depth of the container does matter, 8Gran1s, because there is less O2 is down there to support combustion. Example: I thought I would make some 16 ouncers (I normally use 8 oz. wide mouth canning jars), but I found that even though the diameter was the same, the double depth caused the candle to want a different sized wick than the 8 oz.;)

Remember that some fragrances by nature are more subtle than others. I would not judge hot throw until I had a sizable melt pool goin' on a well-cured candle...

Ask others about the hot throw on your candles, too, because we DO get "candle nose" and cannot really accurately smell the candles we pour and live with as well as someone who does not live in our home.

Keep the faith and don't get discouraged! It's all part of the learning curve! :)

What temp are you adding your FO?

Since soy is poured at a much lower temps, sometimes people are adding FO's at too low of temp.

I add my FO at about 160 - 170 degrees, so the molecular structure of the FO's have a chance to open up. Many times FO's will not smell in any type of wax, if your adding the FO at too low of wax temperature.

I've seen lots of people solve their throw problems by adding fo at higher temps & stirring more, but sounds like you're fine there. I've tried a lot of soys, but yours isn't one of them, so I can only guess here. If you really like all the other qualities of your soy, I'd suggest start playing around w/ additives. Over the last several yrs I've used PSA, UA & beeswax & I'm currently testing w/ coconut oil & UA. I'm really liking this combo, so far. Read up on UA. It will help bind the fo to the wax & that can help your throw. It's also a very inexpensive additive. Do you know any other candlemakers close to you? It might be helpful if someone w/ knowledge of your wax could test a candle for you & give you their feedback. It wouldn't cost you too much to mail one to a 'guru' that would be willing to coach you through your problems.

Good luck -- Susan.