Orange Honey? who knew...

GrandmaArial

I thought I had researched and knew what to expect when I started the oatmeal, honey, cinnamon swirls soap. I knew the honey would accelerate it, and make it gel hot and planned for it. I knew cinnamon can irritate skin so made an oil emulsion and used the left over cinnamon for color, leaving the hot soicy oil to cook with.

What I didn’t know, and didn’t read about until I did a specific search here for “orange honey” is that honey turns cp soap ORANGE. Not a warm golden orange like fresh clover honey… but a BRIGHT pumpkin orange. The color has softened slightly since I poured it a half hour ago; I guess we will see what happens…

well.. live and learn... but it does smell good :yay:

yeppers orange. you will likely end up with a more muted orange. and if you don't fragrance it you may end up with a graham cracker scent (or in your case perhaps cinnamon graham crackers!). yum!!!

I just looked at it, no change in the mold, but the bit left in the mixing pot has turned a nice soft golden brown. I'm crossing my fingers... and toes... and eyes! LOL

Although the cinnamon I put in still had some scent to it I rather doubt there is enough (I used about 1/2 tsp) and what scent is in it probably won’t survive saponification, but that’s ok, I like graham crackers!

I think what I may try next time is swirling the honey. I’ve been wanting to swirl two colors, but don’t want to rush things to fast. This is only my third batch of CP.

I used an FO in my first batch, and although it behaved nicely (no acceleration or weird colors or anything like that) it seems to be getting stronger and stronger as time goes on and I find it overwhelming now. I used Crafter’s Choice Clean Laundry, only 1% as I don’t like strong scents. My husband likes it… so I’m ageing it in his office now, but I haven’t tried FOs in CP since. I guess I’ll get brave and try again soon.

Grandma... you make sure you post a pic of that baby when you're done with it!! Oatmeal and Honey are on my "to do list"... but haven't gotten around to doing it yet, my "to do list" is a mile long! :wink2: The Oatmeal & Honey FO I have, I'm not too happy with, it has too much of an almond smell, not what I'm looking for. I'm shopping around for a mouthwatering one... but still haven't found one. I'm waiting for Tupelo Honey from Scent Works to come in... supposed to smell out of this world!

I had no clue that honey turns your soap orange. Maybe I should have put some in my Harvest Soap! LOL Maybe next time!

Can't wait to see your pics of your soap!!!!