Easier Pouring For Tarts?

I am using the small metal tart molds from Peak and was wondering how everyone else is pouring their wax into the molds. I tried pouring straight from the pouring pot into the molds, but the wax seems to like to run down the sides of the pot and make a nice little mess. I also tried a turkey baster, but that is also a bit messy. Any ideas? Thanks :-)

If I'm making a dozen of the same scented tarts, I'll pour half (I just use the metal pour pot), then go back and pour the other half (rather than pour all 12 at the same time). Less wax in the pour pot = less chance I'll spill it all over. I don't have a problem with the wax sloshing everywhere :) Just a thought.

D

If I'm making a dozen of the same scented tarts, I'll pour half (I just use the metal pour pot), then go back and pour the other half (rather than pour all 12 at the same time). Less wax in the pour pot = less chance I'll spill it all over. I don't have a problem with the wax sloshing everywhere :) Just a thought.

D

Yep that is what I found to work with candlemaking period.....No matter what size pour pot only fill half or below and then pour...

So when I do my tarts I mix in the 4lb pour pot and pour into the 2 lb pot and only pour about 1/2 full - now that is if I am pouring into the standard tarts cups - but if I am doing on smaller tart such as a small heart or something - that takes longer...

I use the 32 oz Pyrex. I keep (2) Pyrex pots heated in oven at app. 150 degrees, up side down on cookie tray with paper towels, rotating my pouring from one pot to the other. While I pour one pot, the empty one is re-heating. I fill pot with approximately 28 oz wax, add dye, place on scale to weigh, adding FO while still on scale, then stir carefully 'til desired temp, and pour (re-stirring each 6 to 8 tarts). I have never had a major problem with wax dripping on pot as I pour. If you do, you can always keep a paper towel handy and wipe side of pot quickly. I place molds on newspaper. I don't worry about wax sometimes running over a little on sides of molds or newspaper. When I first started, I would clean my molds meticulously inside and outside after each pour. (so time consuming). Now I just wipe out inside of molds with Kleenex, only if I am changing scents and I occasionally clean off wax build-up on outside of molds by placing them up-side-down on paper towels, on cookie sheet, in oven. Some of my molds have 3 or 4 scents of wax build-up on outside. It doesn't matter as it doesn't affect the tart you are pouring on inside. Unless the wax build-up on bottom of mold causes the mold to be unlevel, then I don't clean the outside every time I pour. Make sure your counter or table top is level that you place your molds on.

Edited to add: I went into a lot more details than you asked for, but thought more info might be of help to you or other newbies. Some answers to questions I had when I started.

I use soy and the microwave is reheating wax for me all the time. So I use plastic measuring cups to pour. Buy them at WalMart 3 for $2.50, 1 c., 2c, and 4 cup. I have had several melt and get out of shape but they last for years if I'm careful. Make sure they have the triangle on the bottom with a 5 in it.

Using a turkey baster is pretty easy for filling up tealights, tart cups and votive cups. Just have to be careful when you turn the baster to fill the cups up that it doesn't splatter every where, don't ask me how I know that :laugh2:

i line a cookie sheet with foil, then i just pour. if it runs over, no big deal, i just pull up the spilled wax and toss back in the pour pot. what does run off the pour pot is caught by a paper towel folded up and held with the other hand under the pour spout ( think pouring wine...we had to hold a towel under the mouth of the bottle to prevent drips on the white linen table cloths). it also helps to keep the pour pot no more than 2/3 full.

I use a 3-way pitcher from Sam's. I can mix three pounds of wax and pour with no problem. It has a great built in spout!! I get a two pack for a little under $11.00. Here's the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=197558

Thanks for that! I will definately have to get one. A spout would be best for tarts IMO. Thanks for all the other useful info too :-)