Fellow GM Makers......

AkainePSP

A little while back I posted asking about my CP GM Soap I attempted and pretty much crashed and burned the first time. Not real pretty thats for sure and it did go in the trash!

470563984_f3e9c4d39b.jpg

My second time was better but it did crack down the center because of getting to hot. Didn't ruin the soap but I wasn't happy either. I actually liked this soap after it finished curing.

476058953_9c1ee1b684.jpg

I made a 3rd batch last night but did not take pics. By this time I have come up with my own recipe.It started gelling. I forgot to put it in the fridge immediately. I ended up putting it in the freezer. Which did stop the gelling process and kept it from cracking. However I cut it a bit soon so I will have to do a bit of "dressing" it up after it's done curing.

594896984_57be4277d2.jpg

Tonight I did a little experimenting and I finally think I got the hang of making GM. I had no gel, no overheating, no cracking and a pretty light color. I may have added a few to many coffee beans but it will exfoliate nicely on the feet and you still have the smooth side for washing your body.

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my GM post ( http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49757 ) asking for help awhile back. If it were not for your tips and tricks I would not be able to make GM Soap. Currently I'm doing a 60/40 liquid mix of GM & aloe juice.

Kelly :yay:

That last batch looks great!!!

I just made a castille type goats milk soap a few weeks ago and I dissolved my lye in about 4 oz of water and added the rest of my liquid as goats milk at trace. It is a nice off white creamy color and no zap! It feels so great on the skin, too. I am thinking of adding goats milk to more of my soaps, as long as my color stays neutral as not to interfere with my color.

Steph

My color is a bit darker today but that could be because of the freshly ground vanilla beans and the coffee beans on top. I am very happy because this batch so far has turned out exactly as I had hoped. was attempting for a bit more white but I didn't get a pumpkin orange so any improvement id good for me.

Congratulations! :yay: It's looking great!

I usually do a roughly 60/40 Aloe/Goat Milk mixture, too, (I was one of those that responded to your earlier GM post).

Anyway, here's another idea (if you can stand one more ;) ): I just did a 100% GM batch using pretty much the same method I usually do- i.e., mixing my lye with about 60% or so of aloe juice and stickblending the 40% of refigerated, fresh goat milk in with my oils before adding my lye- but then I noticed out of the corner of my eye that I also had some goat milk powder sitting in my cupboard.

Hmmmm... Well, my wheels started turning and an idea popped into my head to add as much goat milk powder to the fresh goat milk (not to the aloe juice part), which would be enough to reconstitute the amount of aloe I had already mixed in with the lye beforehand, thereby turning my 40% GM batch into a 100% GM batch, but without the bugger of having to mix any of my GM directy with the lye!

I then stickblended this newly 'enriched' goat milk mixture in with my oils before adding the lye as I normally do with great success, and Yippie! This one acted just as great as my 40% GM always does for me- no ammonia smell, and no orange discoloration at all.

Unfortunately (colorwise, that is), I added a discoloring Vanilla fragrance to it and so I can't tell what the true color of this soap would be normally. :embarasse I'm assuming, though, that it would turn out to be the nice creamy/light beige color my 40% GM always turns out to be based on how it was looking before the fragrance was added to the mix.

Well, anyway, I can hardly wait to try this one when it's cured to see how much difference there is between a 40% and a 100%.

MarieJeanette

I make my GMS using RT oils and lye and I add my GM (slushy) at trace and there is no smell or discoloration. I've made it to Lt. beige but wanted it even lighter so I made a few changes and this is what I made last night. It's a carrot/gm facial bar. This soap never really got hot and it I didn't refridgerate it, and it went through gel for about an hour and a 1/2 and this is my final results.

Your layered GM looks great! I have not attempted layering cp as of yet. One mastery at a time I suppose. I melted all of my hard oils and let them set for a couple of hours and my lye had set for a good 6. My GM was nice and cold as it had been refridgerated for quite some time. I have also found that mixing all of my oils together and letting them get to RT and then adding the cold GM works very well. (I believe that was another suggestion given to me here in another post :-) ) It gets a nice creamy appearance. I'm thinking maybe if I add my lye mix a bit slower maybe it will be lighter. Of course maybe without the vanilla beans in the soap and the coffee beans on top it might have come out a lighter color.

Kelly

I don't know that there is neccessarily a purpose. I suppose you could use that side of the soap as a scrubby side perhaps on your feet or getting major yuck off of your hands. I was experimenting and being creative. Which is one of the great things I think about making soap. You can be as creative and unique as you want to be.

I was experimenting and being creative. Which is one of the great things I think about making soap. You can be as creative and unique as you want to be.

That was not creative. It was a "what was I thinking?" moment. A grain of sand feels large and scratchy on the skin. You made soap with boulders in it.

Every art has a learning curve. You just rounded a bend.

e

You're right about that! Let the creative juices flow...that's what it's all about. However, I think, and maybe others are thinking also, that those beans are going to fall out with the first use. For a scrubby effect, fresh ground coffee would probably work better mixed in with your soap. You can do the bottom layer plain, and a top layer with the grounds and decorate the top of the bar with a couple beans if you like. I think you're doing a great job researching and testing. You learn something new every day with soaping. Keep on keeping on!

You are entitled to your opinion.

That was not creative. It was a "what was I thinking?" moment. A grain of sand feels large and scratchy on the skin. You made soap with boulders in it.

Every art has a learning curve. You just rounded a bend.

e