EOs in Soy

I'm creating a new line of soy with essential oils only and was wondering if 1 oz per lb is the usual amount to begin testing with. Yikes - these are going to be much more expensive to make (and to test!) Also - Do you have to cut back on the florals as with fragrance oils. I know with FOs it takes much less.

I working on a headache one right now and using 2 parts lavender eo to 1 part peppermint eo and I like that blend. Does anyone else have favorite EO blends or know where I might find some good ones.

Thanks! :cheesy2:

There are very few EO's I use alone in candles (patchouli, lavender, eucalyptus are about it) but most I use with my FO's to enhance the scent and throw. Most citrus EO's used alone may give you a fuel smell and fade rather than get stronger over time. Here's a site I use to get some good and unique blends:

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

All essential oils are also not the same, just like FO's and as far as floral, there is no way I'd put them in candles.....way to expensive. Also make sure they are PURE essential oils and not hydrosols or mixed with a carrier oil. Testing with pure essential oils can be VERY expensive and you may want to rethink using them alone.

Thanks for the link! What a great site. I already work with EOs and have many in my shop. Like you, I mainly add them to enhance my FOs. I don't mind spending a bit to test with the EOs because I see such a market for the soy/EO candles out there and will just have to adjust the price to make it worth my while. I'm learning that customers will pay higher prices for a quality product if it is packaged nicely.

I've noticed with the couple of florals I've worked with so far - one I can think of for sure right now - ylang ylang, it just takes drops per candle to get a really good sense of it and then you can mix it with other not-quite-so-pricey EOs like patchouli.

I have a lavender/peppermint one burning next to me right now and it's just beautiful. I believe I added .2 lavender and .1 peppermint to 6 ozs of a soy/veg blend. And with pure EOs there are awesome aromatherapy benefits too.

I can't wait to get started "playing" with the blends on the link you posted. That's going to save me lots of moolah! :D