EZsoy & EL Modifier or ANY Modifier??

Can EL Modifier be used with EZsoy to help control frosting or is it specifically for THEIR wax?...OR is there another Modifier available somewhere out there (since Frostop is non-existant for the time being)???

I've been using BW and just when I think I've got my frosting fairly under control, I'm bombarded with it all in one jar. *faint*

TIA

I have some USA that I bought from Greenleaf, but I havent tested with it yet. I also have some GB 415 (AKA EZSOY). What results are you hoping to get from the modifier? Frost, hotter pour? I was thinking of pouring some testers today. Ive got tons of FO's, so someone chime in and tell me some that are really terrible looking in 415, and I'll pour up one with and one without the modifier and see what kind of results we get :)

Hi funnygirl..thanks for posting! I'm hoping to eliminate frosting. I'm already using BW with EZsoy (aka 415) and it helps somewhat but am going in for the kill and hoping that a Modifier will completely eliminate frost.

Are you looking for less/no frost? After testing, could you please post your results?

I'll pour up some and see if the one with modifier looks better than the one without. Im trying to think of an FO that really frosts bad in soy, so we can really test it in extreme conditions, LOL! I think I will use red dye too. Any ideas on FO? Maybe Red Hot from BCN? Never poured it on it's own, but it sounds like a froster, hehehe.

I have frost problems with blue, some purple/lavender as well as some reds. One FO that frosted pretty bad was BCN Mountain Lake although the scent itself is fabulous. I just recently had CS Cranberry Marmalade (with Autumn Orange dye chip) do a complete snow job (and I LOVE that scent)....yet I use the Autumn Orange dye in BCN's Hot Apple Pie and got no frost. These FO's and dyes work fine (no frost) in my pillar blend but not in EZsoy (aka 415).

Disclaimer: I don't want to give these FO's a bad wrap because they are truly great scents.

Eager to see your results, funnygirl!

I poured 3 testers. All with Gb 415 (aka EZ Soy). One is just 415 with 6% FO, Mountian Lake and Navy liquid dye. I poured this one at about 100 degrees. So far it has a tiny bit of frost, and the top is so so, some bumps/pits. The second one I made with the same FO/Dye, but I added 3% beeswax. This one I poured about 115 degrees. This one has no frost yet, and the top is better than the first. There is the typical circular crack. The last tester is 415 with 3% USA. Same FO/Dye. Poured this one at 150 degrees. We have no frost yet, and the top is smooth as a babies butt. This one looks great so far. All seem to have pretty much the same cold throw. Tomorrow I will drop in some wicks and test burn for hot throw. :grin2:

Well, my results are becoming curiouser and curiouser, LOL! What I initially thought was a little bit of frost on the plain 415 candle wasnt. It was just some tiny white air bubbles near the surface. I heat gunned it and it's gone now. I heat gunned all the tops, even the perfectly smooth 415/USA top, just to see if it would cause it to frost. The plain 415 and the 415/USA didnt get any frost on top from the heat gun, but the 415/BW got a tiny bit on the top. So far, the only candle that has any frost on the sides at all is the 415/USA candle. :confused: It has small blothes all around the entire jar. It is still minimal, but it's only been about 7 hrs since poured them. The plain 415 and the 415/BW have no frost (except the top of 415/BW from heat gun) I know this is just one test with one scent, but this certainly doesnt encourage me to want to spend extra bucks on USA for frosting issues anyway. But, I will say that being able to pour 415 at 150 degrees is definatly attractive, and for me would be worth the extra money spent in time saving alone. Will update with burn results tomorrow. ;)

Does anyone use a Modifier?

I tried the EL modifer with the EZ a few years ago. At first it seemed to help some with the frosting. After the candles were stored for a few weeks the frosting came creeping back. The wax may be EZ but it frost like mad. If anyone can stop that without making the wax too hard and changing it totally I would love to know how.

I will say this. If I pour the 415 at a very thick slushy stage, I rarely, if ever get frost. At least until I burn it anyway. :) I would say that the consistancy is that of applesauce, maybe slightly thicker. I simply do not have the time for that though, as I have a rather high production rate with my PL customers. Im always on the look out forthat perfect wax, LOL!

NOTE TO SELF: Scratch "USA additive" off the list.

PurpleHippie, thanks for the info on the EL Modifier.

funnygirl, thanks so much for doing this test and for posting your results. Navy Blue chip is exactly what I used with Mountain Lake, also. Now I'm wondering why, overnight, the frosting cleared up. I've never had frosting clear up on it's own. Do you have your jars sitting near something warm?

I use BW and it helps somewhat (but only somewhat!). I've never gotten any circular cracks with BW, though (as you mentioned you did).

I tried pouring really slushy before and by the time I get it to that stage, so much of the wax is sticking to the pour pot because it's candlefied(candlefied? :o ), I don't have enough left to entirely fill my containers...seemed like a waste of product. Any solutions to this?

Thanks again!

:highfive:

I tried pouring really slushy before and by the time I get it to that stage, so much of the wax is sticking to the pour pot because it's candlefied(candlefied? :o ), I don't have enough left to entirely fill my containers...seemed like a waste of product. Any solutions to this?

If the wax gets too cool in the pouring pot, I have an extra presto with nothing in it that I turn on to warm and set the pour pot down into it to warm up a tad. I stir continuously to retain the tempering and to quickly distribute the heat so that I can pour. Wish I had a griddle - that would be ideal... HTH

As far as wax sticking to the pot, I scrape as much as I can off the walls/bottom. Then I hit the sides/walls with my heat gun just enough to melt it off. I then stir it really good to get everything blended back together. No wasted wax. Also, I had none that lost any frost. None of them had any (except for a little on the top of the 415/BW one from the heat gun), except for the one with USA and it is so badly frosted. The entire sides of the jar all the way around are frosted from top to bottom. The plain one and the BW one look great! I really believe that pour temp is crucial in eliminating frost with the 415 wax. Of course, it does come back after you burn it, but the BW added to it does tend to help the tops remain smooth and drastically reduces frosting after burning. Hope this info helps someone out. It was a fun little experiment :)

Thanks, funnygirl and Stella for the tips on not wasting wax when pouring slushy. I'll give that a try. And yes!...a griddle would be nice.

It's amazing the the USA additive did exactly the opposite of what it was suppose to do. Thanks again for the experiment results, funnygirl!

Just a question . . . do you guys heat your jars? This could create your frost. Also, the temperature of your room makes a difference, but this time of the year you shouldn't have problems unless you have an air conditioner blowing on your candles as they cool.

Hi SoyKandles!

Before pouring, I make sure my jars are room temp. Anything more than room temp doesn't seem to matter (from the tests I've done). I let my candles cool in a warm area of my kitchen (with 'under the cupboard' lighting shining down on them for warmth).

I did a tempering test yesterday (pouring ended up to be that of "slushy"...er..more like pudding)....and it turned out to be the worst looking candle I've ever made....LOADS of tiny bubbles throughout and nasty, white crusted, bumpy top. YUCK! So, I melted the creature down and poured the wax into a plastic cup. After it solidified, it was gorgeous!...smooth, shiny and no frost. So, the good news is to not give a hoot about how high the temps rise when remelting...just remelt. And the bad news is that probably 1/4 of the FO throw will be ruined in the remelt.

Checking into Coconut Oil........

:tiptoe:

Are y'all stirring gently but continuously during the last phase of the tempering before pouring? Just curious at all the bubbles... there should not be any bubbles if tempering has occurred...:confused: At least that's how it works out for me... Slushy doesn't necessarily mean zillions of tiny bubbles. If that's what you are seeing, bring the temp up a bit and stir gently until the bubbles have vanished, then let the temp drop while stirring gently, etc. and pour.

...bring the temp up a bit ...

That's what it seemed like it needed. I was trying not to go over 125 in the reheat step but I had to stir like crazy to get it all melted at that temp. I plan on trying this again but will bring the temp up higher.

Thanks, Stella!