Packaging Thick Creams

Kelly

How do you package yours? I was thinking about a two ounce (which holds closer to 2.5 ounces) plastic jar. It's a pretty thick cream but I'm not sure what the typical amounts sold of thick cream are... two ounces doesn't seem like very much.

How about body balms and ultra thick body care products? What do you package those in? Maybe two ounce for body balms and four ounce for creams?

Any thoughts, comments or help appreciated!

Well I just got my base today so I'm going through the 2oz jar pretty fast but I'm using it a lot more that I normally would. Evaluating if I like this new cream base, which I do, so therefore I'm just slathering it on!

I guess I could offer both 2 and 4 ounce to solve the problem!

Is the cream intended for all over the body, or just on hands? If it's all over, I would go for the 4 oz size or else it'll finish too fast. You don't want it too big (or else they'll never finish it and re-order!) but if it finishes too fast it won't be perceived as a good value.

I meant my jars hold 2 ounces I actually didn't weigh the product so I guess that would have been a good idea but I went crazy on it. It is intended for all over body use so maybe I could sell a 2 ounce sample jar and the 4 ounce would be my regular product.

Thanks for you help everyone!

I'm pretty sure that the 2oz jar doesn't hold 2 ounce of my cream either... I'll have to make some more and weigh it next time. I guess it would probably better for me to put the cream in the 4 ounce jars and use the 2 ounce for body butters... because i think by weight the body butter is more than 2 ounces in the 2 ounce jar. Maybe! :)

ETA: Nope just weighed my body butter and that is only 1.6 in the 2 ounce jars. Grr.

I package my body creams (very thick) in 8 oz jars. I have no problem with people not reordering... I guess they really like my body cream. LOL I do my body frostings (body butters, foot butters, etc) in 2 oz jars. In my opinion, you don't need much of this, it's already an intense moisturizer. And my body frostings are alot more expensive to make than the body cream. I've had customers finish off my body creams in like 2-3 weeks, then they are calling for more! Me, I apply the body cream EVERYWHERE.... lol... and sometimes more than once a day, I have really dry, sensitive skin. My customers also prefer the 8oz. jar more than the 4oz.

Thanks Creative Body Essentials (I know that's not your real name! ;)) and Carol M. I think I might need to do the same. The more I think about it the more I feel like 2 or 4 ounces is just such a small amount of my cream. I <i>could</i> put it in a pump bottle but I think it's more "luxurious" in a jar. Do you agree?

And 4 ounces of body butter could take a long time to use. I don't really want to give too much since my body butter doesn't contain perservatives, I don't want to risk it sitting on someone's shelf for years.

Thanks again.

For my body butter, I just scoop it in the jar and tap it on the counter a few times as I'm putting it in there... smooths out my tops. I also don't put it too full.. I leave a little "headspace".... it looks more professional that way. Who wants to open up a jar of cream or body butter and some of it's all stuck on the lid? LOL I do think the jars are more convienient for customers instead of a pump. That way they can scoop in there and get every last drop of that wonderful product! :highfive:

Your welcome Kelly... and my real name is Donna:grin2: :grin2:

Or is it a better look if it is more "uneven"?
The creams I have bought from the department store tend to have "uneven" tops. Reason being that there is a piece of plastic between the lid and the jar. When you lift up the plastic, some of the cream would have gotten stuck to it, resulting in what's left in the jar having an uneven top.