Pre-melting soy wax???

I travel back & forth between Illinois & North Carolina. Before leaving IL last time I poured the melted soy (can't remember 444/464/CB135???) from the Presto pot into some covered containers. Returned after 2 months and made some testers with wax out of the rest of the bag (oops - threw the bag away) ...had my typical frosting and the cottage cheese top which is no big deal for me.

Needed to make more testers so grabbed the pre-melted wax. Made more JJ's with 6 different oils and colors. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The "cheesy-ness" on the top decreased by 80% and just a little powdery frosting on about 5% the top. None that I could see on the sides.

:confused: Anyone else have this type of experience? Getting ready to leave again and thinking of ordering & pre-melting a whole bag and letting it sit!

What you're doing is tempering the wax. I do it by melting it, then letting it sit until its almost set up, then turning back on the heat and stiring it until its just pourable then pouring it. (Don't even use a thermometer after the first melt).

Search this forum for "temper" and you can read more about it.

Thanks - Did the search and got distracted by all the "temper" searches that came up relating to temper tantrums. :laugh2: What a riot they are! Check it out!

There were 2 threads listed. The first one (Pg 19) only gives the last page relating to the 464. The other one was further down on the search results page and has all 19 pages about the 464 - looks like it contains all the background info. Got through 3 pages and saved the rest for tomorrow.

Thank goodness for people like you with good memories and interprative skills. I've heard of tempered steel and tempering candy - never even crossed my mind it could/would apply to wax. Thanks again, :highfive:

What you're doing is tempering the wax. I do it by melting it, then letting it sit until its almost set up, then turning back on the heat and stiring it until its just pourable then pouring it. (Don't even use a thermometer after the first melt).

Do you notice any difference if it's just wax that is cooled and then reheated or does it need to have scent and color for this to work?

I have melted wax, and let it cool then heat and pour, many times. But can't say I noticed any difference in the way the candles look. I don't do it with testing in mind. I think I did test this at one time but I just can't remember. I hardly ever get to the wax at just the right time to pour and most times it is already hard. Just wondered if you, CandleMan, have done the testing with plain wax as opposed to with color and scent?

We have researched "ugly" tops and frosting issues and have found tempering to be the best solution thus far to rough tops. I agree that this is most likely the reason for Judy's accidental nice tops. Henryk has described one method of tempering. Another is by "seeding" the wax. Both methods involve stirring until the wax is poured for best results. Both methods will help achieve a babybutt smooth top with no cracking and less frosting. We do not add scent or color until just before we are ready to pour and are stirring continuously.

We're still working on the frosting issues... adding beeswax does help, but am waiting to try another method which I believe will work better. HTH

adding beeswax does help, but am waiting to try another method which I believe will work better.

Stella1952, I add BW and it helps but not always so I'm in search of a better way. I'm going to try this 'tempering' but am leary of the low temp melt point required. Not sure my FO will bind and not sure my dye chip will melt completely. SO....

My Kingdom for your new method!!!!? :drool:

Check out this thread for recent coconut oil discussion. There is another recent thread on olive oil. If you search the forums for tempering, you will find other info.

Nothing secret about it... the coconut oil is supposed to have some properties that help with frosting. I had read that beeswax helped some and had used it to tame some pillar wax I was using (not for frosting). Reading up on chocolate tempering and frosting helps a lot.

The seeding method of tempering involves melting the wax and taking it up to the high end of your temperature range, then adding a quantity of unmelted wax to bring the temp down. You have to stir continuously after seeding.

My personal methods and experiences are not so tried and true that I would feel comfortable saying, "Now if you do THIS, you'll never have frosting or ugly tops again." Each person needs to read up on all this and try different techniques with their brand of wax, wicks, FOs and colorants... there are too many variables to state that one certain thing or technique will work for everyone in all cases! Ya just gotta put on your lab coat and safety goggles and EXPERIMENT! It's not like anything'll EXPLODE! The worst that can happen is that I'll make a candle that sux and I already KNOW I can do THAT!!:laugh2:

catchem.gif

We have researched "ugly" tops and frosting issues and have found tempering to be the best solution thus far to rough tops. I agree that this is most likely the reason for Judy's accidental nice tops. Henryk has described one method of tempering. Another is by "seeding" the wax. Both methods involve stirring until the wax is poured for best results. Both methods will help achieve a babybutt smooth top with no cracking and less frosting. We do not add scent or color until just before we are ready to pour and are stirring continuously.

We're still working on the frosting issues... adding beeswax does help, but am waiting to try another method which I believe will work better. HTH

Just goes to show every way of making candles is different. I find if I stir right before pouring I get bubbles all through the jar plus lots of frosting. The only way I can get a frost free jar, mostly, is to pour at a pre slush stage. Even thick but syrupy produces frost. And it is hard to get that perfect temp.

I thought it was a MUST to add scent while the wax is hot. Although I can't tell the difference in throw when I have added at a cooler temp.