glue gun??

I am out of wick stickums. No time to order. I am going to use the glue gun. Did once before but does anyone use these and do they work really really good. I love my stickums but used them and glue gun both when it was cold in basement. Now want to use ONLY the glue gun.

LynnS

I used a glue gun I had laying around for a long time, but the wicks kept coming lose until I realized there was a difference between low and high temp guns/wax. I was using a low heat wax/gun, rather than a high heat, hence they always came lose when the melt pool reached the bottom. I bought a high heat glue gun and wax at the Dollar Store and after that the wicks never came lose.

I have great luck if I use the high temp glue sticks. If I use regular glue sticks and pour hot, sometimes they come loose on me.

I prefer the glue gun when I know what size wicks I am going to use on a certain jar and my wax. I can do up a bunch at a time. I just use a little label maker and print out a sticky to put on the bottom of the jar so I know what size wick I put in them.

You can get glue sticks at the Dollar Store. Dollar General. High temp ones too.

I have had maybe 2 times my wicks come loose. One was when I took off the bottom warning label and used a wick candle on warmer. I am going to test a candle I made(glue gun). No one has ever called me about a wick problem and I should hope they would. Maybe they wouldn't care to let me know. I would tell someone and wouldn't expect anything but would want the candlemaker to know there was a problem.

LynnS

I wish that silicone set up as quickly as hot glue - I would use that! I recently got a little glue pot (I think it wsa from Peak if memory serves...) and I LOVE IT!! The high temp gluesticks are the hot setup. I had gotten the little glue chips to go along with the glue pot, and they are too low temp for this application. When a candle is powerburned, and the wax becomes all liquid, the heat softens the glue and the convection will move it waaaay off center! :rolleyes2

So I'll save the glue chips for other crafts, but I LOVE the glue pot! It even has a little thingy to hold a glue stick, but what I use it for is to wind those strings around until they break.:yay:

Jami that's a good idea about labelling the wicks. We have ours color coded with a Sharpie (another excuse to get a big pack of different colored Sharpies). When we receive new wicks, we color the little bit of wick on the underneath of the wick tab, or circle the center on the metal. Then we color the label of the bag containing the wicks with a dot so we'll know which one is which. We can see the color through the bottom of the container. I wish the suppliers would do some kind of color coding on ALL wicks as a matter of course!;)