GEEZ, so easy, yet not....where did I go wrong

DeJae

I made an effervescent bath mix of

4 cups baking soda

2 cup citric acid

1 cup corn starch

1 cup of epsom salt

I sifted them together

I have added no coloring, no fragrance, no water.

It is not humid here, as a matter of fact our humidity is only 11%

I put this in a freezer type ziplock bag and burped the air out.

A week later and it is hard as a rock, does anyone know why this happened and what I can do to keep it in powder form?

And is there a way to salvage this?

I keep a big bag of my basic bomb dry mix - soda, citric & corn starch, and sometimes it gets hard. Try sifting it through a largeish strainer into a bowl - rub the hard bits against the mesh to crumble it through. Hopefully it's not too cement-like to work. I don't know if perhaps the epsom salts had something to do with it? Good luck!

Hmm, true enough. I've only ever sent it out in molded form. Heat seal? Vacuum sealing might act like a mold & compress it into a brick. Silica gel packets? I guess you could just add a blurb along the lines of "Changes in temp & humidity may cause product to harden. You can crush any clumps without loss of effectivenes." Might seem like a cop-out, but at least you're covered.

Sorry, I got nothing. :(

jeri

Now this is just a guess, but I'm betting it's the epsom salts. My reasoning is that salt will clump together eventually since there is always some kind of water in the air. We even had to put rice in our table salt when our family lived in the high desert because of the swamp cooler (the rice absorbed the water so the salt would remain clump free).

I know you can't put rice into the mix (ewww!) but maybe leave out the salt until you are ready to ship? HTH

That could very well be, the salts.

I am going to try it with half the amount and see and if that doesn't work I will just delete it from the recipe. Would have been nice to have it in there, makes the bath water nicer.

Thanks all