Rats. Not so successful

jaybyrd

Aww. My pretty salt bars aren't nice to use in the shower at all. They make this really unpleasant waxy-sticky-dry feel when I try rubbing them directly on my skin, and no amount of water or scrubbing it with the pouf has made a difference. What a bummer. Funny how sometimes the really pretty things turn out icky to use, and the lumpy weird ones smell & feel the best.

I'm sorry to hear that! I went back and found your post in the gallery w/ the salt bars in them.....was that the ones? Said you used Dead Sea Salts in them? That's your problem right there! I'm fairly certain you can use sea salt in them....but never DEAD sea salt. Don't remember why....but there are posts about it. Me? I just use un-iodized table salt. 3 containers at 30oz each for $1....can't beat that!

Donna

I was wondering the same thing about the salt. I tried to use dead sea salt in my recipe before since I only had 1/2 the salt I needed and yup had to pitch the entire thing :( The properties of DEAD sea salt and sea salt are different. But also I was wondering what recipe you used and how much salt, also how long did you let it cure for. I love making these bars and haven't had any problems except the one batch. Theyre also my biggest seller.

Thanks for the feedback, friends. Yah, I used Dead Sea Salts - guess the operative word here is "dead," huh? I'll know way better from now on.

Dirtybird, my recipe was 70% CO, 5% Crisco, 10% almond, 10% RBO, 5% shea butter - just a total of 16oz oils, and added 12 oz salts. Did CPOP, & cured a couple days shy of 4 wks before I tried them.

Hey, at least they're pretty, and they make decent room fresheners for now. Cheers, all.

:smiley2: Jeri

Thanks for the feedback, friends. Yah, I used Dead Sea Salts - guess the operative word here is "dead," huh? I'll know way better from now on.

Dirtybird, my recipe was 70% CO, 5% Crisco, 10% almond, 10% RBO, 5% shea butter - just a total of 16oz oils, and added 12 oz salts. Did CPOP, & cured a couple days shy of 4 wks before I tried them.

Hey, at least they're pretty, and they make decent room fresheners for now. Cheers, all.

:smiley2: Jeri

I've never done CPOP so I don't know if its different but I've always used the exact amount of salt as the oils, so if it was 16oz of oils I would have used 16oz of sea salt. I dont know if this could also be a cause for the problem, maybe someone who does CPOP can chime in LOL I just wouldnt give up on them, I LOVE THESE BARS, and so do my customers :grin2:

I've never done CPOP so I don't know if its different but I've always used the exact amount of salt as the oils, so if it was 16oz of oils I would have used 16oz of sea salt. I dont know if this could also be a cause for the problem, maybe someone who does CPOP can chime in LOL I just wouldnt give up on them, I LOVE THESE BARS, and so do my customers :grin2:

Yah, I intended to go equal parts oil/salt, but the salt pile was getting so big when I was weighing it I chickened out - even though I knew better. I won't give up on them - it does sound like the DSS was at fault. Thanks for the encouragement!

j