Help with silicone mold product

Has anyone used SMOOTH-ON Silicone Mold Making Rubber to make your own silicone molds? I want to use a product that I can "pour" rather than paste over the item I want to replicate! Candlewic has a new product, but it's a type of clay and it won't work the way I want it to.

:o Thanks for your patience with me; I know I've asked a similar question before!

Yes I use them and its easy, once you learn how. A problem you will most likely have is tiny surface air bubbles (air bubbles right next to your object). You don't want surface air bubbles because your casting will have pin holes from the air bubbles.

The best way to get rid of the bubbles is to use a vacuum chamber to de-gas the liquid rubber of the air bubbles. That is a very expensive piece of equipment and not worth it unless you are producing hunderdes of molds.

The other way to reduce air bubbles is to get the same product you want to pour only in the thicker brush-on. That way you can brush on the first layer then use the thinner pourable to finish the mold, to the desired thickness.

Their instructional DVS's are great to learn the proper way to make molds & well worth the cost. Mold making is expensive (more so than candle making) and if you mess up you can't re-use the rubber again, like you can re-melt a candle & try again.

HTH - Candle Man

Thanks for your help, Candle Man! It makes sense that you would want to brush on the first layer, now that you mention it. I saw the vacuum de-gas process on the net, and the equipment is very costly. I appreciate your response!