Crisco added to make Container Wax????

Hey everyone,

I got a 10lb slab of wax from my girlfriend that used to make candles. However, she has no idea what kind of wax it is. Someone had told me a while ago about adding crisco to a parrafin to make it a container wax. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, could you please let me know how much? I have been reading all the newbie stuff and the archives and haven't found anything on it.

Thanks,

Shari

It's been several years but when I added crisco to wax I had the worse smoke and soot! The wax was much better without the crisco. Kinda stands to reason when I thought more about it. Just look at what Crisco does when you heat it in a pan. I hope Top sees your post and chimes in. I bet he would have a good explaination. Not sure but I think there a post that may have already discussed the Crisco.

I think that it would be best to try to identify the wax first and foremost. Is it hard to the touch or sticky. If it's more of a silver gray in apperance and real hard it's probably optimal for pillars. If it's more of a white color then it's possible that it's optimal for containers.

Thing of it is, even if it's designed for pillars you can still melt it and put it into a container if you want to. Wick it and it will burn and be a candle..:smiley2: It just might rattle a little if you shake the jar.

I would'nt add crisco thinking that it will make a wax that's optimal for pillars into a wax that's going to become optimal for containers.

The primary purpose of the Crisco was to help eliminate wet spots. A secondary purpose was real reach. It was to add soy to paraffin, making a blend. When we got started, our wax supplier recommended the Crisco, so we used it. When we ran out, we made some candles without it and didn't notice any difference. We've been working for years now without it.

It didn't hurt anything, but I can't say it did anything positive either.

I guarantee it will not magically turn an unknown wax into something useful for container candles.

Fredron

I think that it would be best to try to identify the wax first and foremost. Is it hard to the touch or sticky. If it's more of a silver gray in apperance and real hard it's probably optimal for pillars. If it's more of a white color then it's possible that it's optimal for containers.

Thing of it is, even if it's designed for pillars you can still melt it and put it into a container if you want to. Wick it and it will burn and be a candle..:smiley2: It just might rattle a little if you shake the jar.

Ditto :)

I have tried this myself with pillar wax. It doesn't work, even adding a large amount ;) It still shrinks considerably, away from the container and down the middle.

I did a 70/30 mix with straight paraffin and Crisco having a melt point of 130. I also used

• 1/4 tsp. Vybar 103
  • zinc core wick
  • 1 oz coconut lime fragrance - BCS
  • two repours

It was a smooth candle and I didn't get soot because I trimmed the wick at the appropriate burn times. I haven't burned the whole candle yet. It's burned about half way and I like it.

Okay, I found out that the wax is IGI 1343, apparently for pillars? I guess. I'm still pretty new to all this candle stuff and I get so much info from this site. I'm going to do search on it, but if anyone can give me any pointers, I would appreciate it! Everyone here seems so friendly and willing to help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shari

Now on the crisco, I have made candles for almost 8yrs. now and I use two tablespoons per pound of crisco and would not go without it. I use paraffin and not a container wax and it helps lower my melt point and I do not get any more soot than the next person. And yes everyone has there way of doing things but try it and see if it works for you.

DeeDee-Ohio

Okay, I found out that the wax is IGI 1343, apparently for pillars? I guess. I'm still pretty new to all this candle stuff and I get so much info from this site. I'm going to do search on it, but if anyone can give me any pointers, I would appreciate it! Everyone here seems so friendly and willing to help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shari

1343 is a versatile pillar wax that is fully refined and is without additives. You can add your own additives to make mottles and rustics with it or even mottled rustics..:)

It's a good wax. Have fun with it.