Why does my wax turn green? Help

Hi, I have been making candles for over 3 years and have recently hit upon a new problem. I've tried to go "upmarket" and produce multi wick candles in glass containers. I am using my usual supplier of FO's and EO's and I am not adding ANY dye to them at all. The idea is that they stay a natural off-white colour. I use Eco-Soya Advanced from NGI and have never experienced problems before.

I should also say that when I pour the candle it remains its natural colour, it is only when it burns that it turns a definite shade of green.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Angela

I had it happen with a smoke and odor eliminator, but as I said before only with the Ecosoya advanced wax. Used the same FO in other soy wax and it didn't happen. Also used several different wicks to be sure that wasn't the problem.

Great, thanks it's good to know that it's not just me! I too have tried different wicks, different containers and fo's from many different suppliers and it's always so disappointing. I'll contact NGI direct and see if they can throw any light (or should that be white!) on the subject. I'll let you know. Thanks again

Hi again, I contacted NGI as promised and thought I would share their response to see if it helps anyone else. I'd be interested to know what you think - as I can't see how this relates to my tealights that also turn grey green? I'll keep following up if anyone is still interested- let me know.

NGI Response

" It sounds like you may be over heating the wax/fragrance combination. The key is to use the diameter/hour rule for wicking. If your container diameter is 3 inches then it should take 3 hours for the burn pool to reach a depth of 1/8 to 1/4 inch and be fully across. That means one inch per hour the reach a full burn pool. The burn pool should be no deeper than 1.4 inch. If so then the candle is over heating. this can cause discoloration. Using 4 wicks is a lot of heat with potential to over heat the wax/fragrance combo. You may either need to radically decrease the wick size or remove wicks to achieve the proper burn pool."

While the heat response makes some sense...it doesn't explain why this happens only with 1 or 2 FO's...in 1 or 2 waxes...wouldn't it happen with all of them if they are all waxed and wicked the same? I just tell my customers ahead of time that the candle may turn grey after burning and it is a characteristic of that particular fo...which is the truth IMHO. No one seems to really care.

• 2 weeks later...