Rush Order Charge

For those who do large wholesale orders, do you charge a rush order fee? One of our best clients needs 90 candles by the weekend, and usually we have a 2 week processing period (though we generally get all orders out in a week)

What are others charging?

TIA

We don't charge our wholesale accounts a rush order, only retail customers. It's agreed upon up front (in writing) that our processing time is 2-3 weeks. If they run out, they can pay additional shipping to receive partial order in separate shipments, or they can wait it out. Might seem harsh, but knock on wood we haven't had a problem at all and have done wholesale for years. After a while they learn "when" to order :wink2:

I agree with SoapMom. If you're already filling a wholesale order, and another wholesale order comes in, wants you to rush it, the only way that you can do that is to drop the current one. IMHO, you're then shortchanging the service you're giving to the 1st WS customer. And then what happens if you get another rush order in? I can just see this slope getting more and more slippery.

If you have a lead time, stick to it. If they didn't order in time, well, they'll definitely know better for next time. As long as it's clearly stated in your WS policies, they can't fault you at all. Also, you can't charge a rush order fee unless that's been outlined in those policies as well.

I'd be upfront, tell them you can't get the order filled in that time (because if you do, then they'll expect that every time, and they won't have learned a thing). Figure out what you CAN ship by then, let them know, with the change in shipping costs, and offer to ship in two sets. And gently remind them of your required lead time.

I agree. We are currently stuck with a wholesale customer that expects every order to be "rushed" through...whether it takes working 72 hours over the weekend or whatever to get it out. They are huge and growing every month so I can't afford to tick them off too much, but after a couple of split shipments, they do seem to be "trying" to do right. I would have saved myself alot of sleepless days by being firm from the start since I'm the one who pulls the all-nighters. The help gets nights off. :cry2:

I think that if you are pretty caught up on other orders, I'd go for it, esp since they are a good customer. we always break our back for our customers when possible, keeps them coming back. Would certainly charge extra, that's just business. I've seen extra charges from 20 - 75 dollars extra, plus extra shipping if shipping is involved. We almost never turn business down, even if we have to work 16hr + days to get it done. HTH