Green Tea & Rose Facial Lotion

elegantnaturals

Green Tea & Rose Facial Lotion

Phase A

376 (1 2/3 cup) grams distilled water 76%

- 1 1/3 cup distilled water (add two tea bags at end of 20 minutes)

- 1/3 cup to make up 376 grams of Rose Water (this is approximate...make

sure to weigh everything out!)

Phase B

15 grams Stearic Acid 3%

20 grams Emulsifying Wax 4%

10 grams Hydrovance 2%

22 grams jojoba oil 4.5%

20 grams Mango butter 4% (or other face friendly butter)

10 grams Evening Primrose Oil 2%

5 grams Avocado Oil (or Aloe Extract at same level) 1%

5 grams Meadowfoam Oil 1%

5 grams Apricot Kernel Oil1%

2 grams Vitamin E .4%

2 grams Rosehip Oil (or Squalane at same level) .4%

Phase C

3.75 grams Germaben II .7%

Fragrance (although optional, I found that adding up to 2.5 grams of essential oils will help mask the some of the stronger smelling oils)

Total of 494.75 grams or approximately 17 fluid ounces

• Combine and heat Phase A to 176°F, cover and hold for 20 minutes to kill any bacteria and mold spores. I added the green tea bags at 5 minutes to go and then let sit. Remember to squeeze out the bags to get all the liquid. Remove from heat. Add the rose water.
  • Combine and heat Phase B ingredients to 176°F and remove from heat. Gently stir the oils and waxes to combine. Cover and hold at this temperature until the water phase is ready.
  • Pour Phase A (water phase) into Phase B (oil phase) with mixing. Insert an immersion (stick) blender into the mixing vessel, keeping it near the bottom and blend. Move the stick blender around in the vessel to make certain that the lotion is well mixed.
  • Stop blending briefly. Place your mixing vessel into a cold water bath in your sink. Immediately resume blending your lotion with your stick blender, moving it around the bottom of the pot to fully incorporate the mix. Mix until temperature is approximately 122°F. This should only take about 1-2 minutes. Remove from water and place mixing vessel on counter.
  • While blending with stick blender, slowly drizzle Phase C into your emulsion, mixing well. Continue to mix with stick blender until everything is fully emulsified. Once fully incorporated, switch to a wire whisk to continue mixing. *This is important because if you continue to stir with the stick blender, you will add air into your lotion which forms bubbles in the mixture. This will not only make it difficult to pour but you will not fill your bottles all the way because of the extra air*
  • Place the pot back into the cold water bath and resume mixing with wire whisk until the lotion is about 95°-100°F (this should take no more than 1-3 minutes more). Remove the pot from the water and place on the counter.
  • Check the weight of your batch to make sure you still have 494.75 grams, add more distilled water if needed to replace what may have evaporated.
  • Add the fragrance to the mixture and mix well with wire whisk.
  • Lotion will be thin but thickens as it cools down. Pour into containers.

I found that this recipe will fill approximately four 4-oz tottles (maybe less if the water phase had excessive evaporation).

Enjoy!

Thanks bunches I have been wanting to make a lotion. I don't have any rose water can i sub somthing else? I think i might have every thing else but the sq what ever it is. Is there any thing that would replace that?

Thanks bunches I have been wanting to make a lotion. I don't have any rose water can i sub somthing else? I think i might have every thing else but the sq what ever it is. Is there any thing that would replace that?

You can use water. I like using rose water for everything because of the smell and the skin benefits but it isn't necessary. As a matter of fact, you can leave out all the tea as well and use water in its place.

As for the squalane, any light oil will do. Remember, this is for your face so you may want to stay away from coconut oil. Use whatever you have! HTH

• 1 month later...

As for the squalane, any light oil will do. Remember, this is for your face so you may want to stay away from coconut oil. Use whatever you have! HTH

I am kind a new to this and I am not sure what a light oil might be? Could sweet almond oil be light? I do have at this time some oils I got on a coop. Apricot, grapeseed, macadamia. pumpkin seed, jojoba, meadowform. cherry. rbo, virgin coconut, monoi, Not sure what is light or heavy?? Is there a place to find out? Thanks for the help.

Try this chart:

http://soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

It has most oils listed by non-comdegenic/non-clogging properties.

As for the oils you listed, I would use grapeseed or rbo for the light oil, if that's what you have on hand. Some women have really good results with monoi but I think that depends on what type of skin you have (mature or dry seems to respond really well to it).

If you have oily skin, you could try hazelnut oil since it's slightly astringent. I've also been thinking of adding in some white kaolin clay, particularly for those who have oily or combo skin. It should help with the shine problem you sometimes get with too much face oil.

HTH